OS unrecognizable following Windows Update - PC can't boot

Starwynen

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hi all,

As of this morning, my computer was working perfectly fine. And then I made the worst decision ever to allow Windows to actually install some of the updates it kept telling me were available. (I have Windows Update set to notify me about updates, but not to download or install them automatically.) It'd been since July of last year that I'd actually done this, and I'm now seriously regretting the decision to change that, since everything had been working fine. Unfortunately, once the updates downloaded and installed and the system restarted, everything went downhill pretty quickly.

When I clicked to let the system do its restart, it showed where it was installing (finalizing?) the updates. I remember it hitting 30% before it actually restarted, and once the computer loaded back up, it showed that same screen again. I don't recall if it hit 100% or not, but I don't think it did before the computer restarted once more. At this point, it looked like it went to my normal log-in screen, but I think I saw some text that said something about "System Event Manager" before the screen went black. The mouse, however, was still there, only it looked the way the mouse looks before you get your PC all set up the way you want it, like it wasn't reading any of my settings.

I couldn't get the computer to do anything at this point, namely because I couldn't see anything other than the mouse, so I force shut the computer off. When I started it up again, it came up with the error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". So, I restarted once again and F8'ed into the Bios, where I verified that my PC was reading all of my drives correctly and was set to boot from the Kingston SSD. Manually choosing this drive from the boot menu produces the same error message, however.

So, I put in my Windows 7 disc and let the computer load that, thinking I can use the Repair function to see what's wrong. Except that trying to do that gives me the following error message - "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

Well, at this point, I hit up the Internet for possible solutions, even though I'm not really sure what's gone wrong and what I'm trying to fix. I learn how to use DiskPart from the Windows 7 disc screen, and I'm able to see that even though both of my drives and all of my partitions seem to be there, their assigned letters have gone screwy, and even trying to manually assign them either doesn't work or doesn't stick after the fact. And none of the partitions on the Kingston (which I did not create, so they must have been made when I first installed Windows) seem to be listed as active or as a boot drive.

Some more Googling leads me to hoping I might be able to perform a System Restore from this command prompt I've gotten into, only typing "rstrui.exe" returns the following message - "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore." Now, I don't know if this is because I'm not in the true CMD screen, but rather the one you can Shift+F10 into from the Windows disc.

So, back to the Internet. By this point, I'm just trying to get something to work to let me get into my PC at least a little bit. I can tell that my files are still there because if I click like I'm going to install Windows, and then select to load a driver and choose Browse, I can see them. Yet I still can't get anything to boot up. I find the command "bootrec", so I use "bootrec /scanos", and the system tells me that there are 0 identifiable Windows installations. At least to start. Once I pop back over into DiskPart and get where my OS should be properly labeled as the C drive again, the same command comes back and recognizes that there is a Windows install there. And yet I still can't run a System Restore or get the PC to boot properly.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point. I feel like I'm close to getting somewhere, but I don't have enough knowledge to try to narrow down the cause of this problem, so I'm just making guesses in the dark and getting the occasional hit back. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows. If anything, if this can't be fixed, I'd at least like to get in and use the System Restore point from right before those evil updates were installed. I've got some files on my C drive that I don't want to lose (and will definitely be moving/backing up elsewhere if I get the chance as soon as this is somewhat fixed), so maybe there's a way to copy the contents of one partition to another via the DiskPart command? It should be noted that I cannot get into the menu to choose to try to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc. - hitting F8 only brings up my Bios menu for me, and I've had no luck with any other keys yet. Even all the forced shut downs I've been doing haven't triggered that menu to pop up, unfortunately.

Not sure what stats might be helpful here, so I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a custom built PC with an ASUS motherboard and booting from a Kingston SSD.

Sorry for the lengthy post! I'm not sure what steps I've tried or what information I've discovered might be helpful, so I figure it's better to include too much rather than not enough. For anyone who's read all the way through this, thank you for that! I'm really hoping someone will be able to give me some direction on what to do here or try next because I'm at a loss and really missing my big PC already.

Thanks!!

Starwynen

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Well, in case anyone else runs into a similar situation, Easy Recovery Essentials saved the day for me. Using their bootable DVD, I was able to get my PC to boot back into Windows 7 again, hooray!

It sounds like that Windows update was trying to upgrade you to Windows 10, but something went wrong in the process. That's why I make regular full system backups on my computers.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $55 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free. That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Take out the drive, install the drive on a working PC.
Recover and backup all the files from the damaged drive.

Reformat the damaged drive. Full slow re-format...
Reinstall windows 7, turn automatic updates OFF.

Restore the files from your backup made (above).

This is why so many of us turn updates OFF. We don't like unexpected "surprises."
I have run without updates for many many years. I have not suffered at all, not even slightly.

In fact, I am sure that my system is better off without any automatic updates.
Far fewer problems.
I am not the only person on earth who recognizes this. But, it's up to you-make your own decision.

Also...I would abandon the Asus board.

Updates:
Your security / antivirus may be conflicting or blocking the updates.
If you are going to run any updates, make sure that all security and firewalls are OFF.

I would avoid any software like this.
Windows does not need any "help" to run itself.

Windows already has recovery designed into it. This is probably more reliable...than any third party software.

But if the system is corrupted:
Don't race to install programs which claim to "fix" PCs.
This usually just makes the problem much worse.