CPU Choices & Compatible Items

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I have had an AMD FX-9590 for a while, and I will say I am completely disappointed by the performance and heat that it outputs, and I am sick of upgrading everything to fit for my CPU.

This is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Twijn/saved/c3XD4D

I have had to upgrade nearly everything to make it work decently with the CPU and it doesn't seem to be working as well as it should. This could be because I am still forced to underclock the CPU because my CPU cooler is not good enough. And as much as I could, I really don't want to upgrade more as I feel like it should output decent performance and it's mostly not. The biggest issue with it currently is that the CPU get so hot.

I know that the Cooler is likely insufficient. This is probably causing most of the problems. However, I don't see performance being better if I upgrade it. This is why I am choosing to go to Intel instead. (Unless you guys can convince me to something else)

I was looking at an air cooler, but it was just a few mm from not fitting in my case.

So, the question is now, What intel CPU should I buy? I failed to ask for these things when buying the 9590 so I will not do this again with buying Intel. Would I need to buy a new CPU cooler also, or will the Seidon 120V be compatible with it, and be able to cool it?

If I don't need a new cooler then I believe the only new things I will need to swap out is my motherboard and, of course, my CPU.

This is what I'm looking to upgrade to https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Twijn/saved/VLHdnQ

I am choosing the Intel I7-4790K because of its good reviews, high speeds, and claimed to have low heat

I am choosing the MSI Z97 because it's there. Please give me feedback on the motherboard.

I would also like to pay as least as possible, but have good performance and not cheap out on anything.

Well the 4790K is not a cool chip, but if you do not overclock it much that cooler will be just fine. it is a beast when it comes to getting stuff done though. my friend has a 4790K and that same board and he is quite happy. unless you feel you need a better board, that board has plenty of nice features, but not many overkill ones. it overclock pretty well too.

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Sorry, I should've worded that differently. Cooler than the 9590 I meant. I didn't mean to say that it was cool. Also I'm not much of an overclocker. I usually don't mess around with the clock speeds at all, except I had to for my 9590 to make it not overheat.

I guess the questions now are, will this be compatible with the rest of my build? It won't have any issues with my ram, graphics card, PSU, HDD, etc?

Also will I be able to still use my previous cooler, or does this come with a "stock" cooler? If it does, would I benefit from using the Seidon 120V instead of the stock one?

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
As a personal owner of the 4790k, I will tell you Robert is correct, it's not a cool chip, and it is a beast. The 9590 uses old 32 nanometer transistors, as well as most of the AMD processors, including the 8000 series. This, plus the fact that the chip is running at freaking 4.7 GHz with a turbo of 5.0 GHz is why it feasts on electricity and is as hot as hell. It's also the reason why the stock cooler is a water cooler... Currently AMD's newest architecture is 28nm which still isn't all that small compared to the 4790k's 22nm transistors, the Skylake and soon to be Kaby lake's 14nm transistors, and the tiny 10nm transistors that'll be in Cannonlake. So let me ask you this. Are you willing to RMA the motherboard, the CPU, then get a new motherboard, and a new processor? Then by all means get the 4790k. If it's too much of a pain in the ass returning it all though, get the 8350 or 8320. I don't suggest getting these two, but I suggest them over the 9590, that thing is an AMD hot head. If you really want a cool chip though that's fast, new, and will be future proof for pretty much 5+ years, pick up a 6700k or 6600k, that'll do you well in gaming.

Also note: the 4790k is for people who want to do video editing, rendering, or other intensive app work. The 4690k, the i5 version of the chip (Aka the i5 in the Devil's Canyon series), is what you want if you're gonna game.

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

I unfortunately, cannot return the motherboard or the CPU. I will likely have to do something else with it. What that is I'm not sure. I'll take suggestions, though.

And, the 6700K, as the one here? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

I thought about that one, however, I saw that the 4790k had the exact same speed and cores for a cheaper price.

I am also assuming that the 6700K will require a different motherboard. Here again is the motherboard I'm thinking about:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Twijn/saved/VLHdnQ

Just to be sure that this will be 100% compatible with all of my current parts?

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

No no, wrong wrong! Specs aren't everything!

The 6700k is better. It has smaller transistors, and has more instructions per cycle. Worth it? No. If you're a video editor, the 6 core 5820k outperforms it and is cheaper (though larger lithography). Gamers? 6600k will barely show any performance gain to the 4690k. So 6700k just isn't really worth the money, unless you're a huge fan of Z170 chipset (20 PCIe 3.0 lanes), and/or the new USB 3.1 and C, which is better supported with the new generation, though you will see it on some X99 boards. Basically think of the 6700k as the new, DDR4 version of the 4790k, just too expensive and not worth it yet (unless you buy it at MicroCenter heehee).

The 6700K is frankly not even much better than a 4790K. at some sing;le threaded tasks the 4790K still ties or out paces it slightly. for visualization and some other more specific tasks it does pull ahead, but really it is not a great boost at all.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

In performance like you said it can be better, but I will say, the Z170 chipset is one of the best I've seen in my life. Not even one of the best. THE best

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
So which one should I choose? Where it will last for a while (and not be obsolete), however is still at a good price for what you're getting.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

We're still on the cooler subject right?

If you don't mind spending the cash, put in a Noctua NH-D15 or D14. Both are great coolers, they're super quiet (they use the SSO bearing), the fans are premium quality, and the D15 at least gives you a lot of RAM clearance. The mounting system is excellent, and gives you support for many different sockets.

The D15 sells for 90 dollars, while the D14 sells for 80 dollars. So if you want to spend the money, it'll be great to cool your diamond melting chip.

For CPUs I would still just get a 4790K, the 6700K is unlikely to last much, if any, longer in terms of usefulness as it is pretty much the same thing performance wise.

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Okay. Is there any motherboard or anything that is really great, or in the end does it not matter a ton?

Also, xXCrossFireXx, I was more leaning towards getting a new CPU & motherboard and using my CPU cooler that I have now if possible. Unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I kind of want to get rid of this piece of lava that some people call a CPU.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Ah cool beans, I'm way better with running hot tasks than keeping things cool :D. Anyway, for CPUs, Rob is right. A 4790k is great. However, you never said what your computer is doing, and that's OK, because I can tell you three great chips that are affordable that will fit your needs, and the 4790k may not be what you need:

CPU 1: The 4690k. The i5 Devil's Canyon chip. This CPU can be overclocked, and has 4 cores. It's the best gaming processor out there, because it's not too expensive, and won't bottleneck any graphics cards. So, for gaming that's mid-high range cards, go for this guy

CPU 2: The 4790k (i7). If you're not an expert at video editing, like me, but you still want to have a good experience, go for the 4790k. It's also Devil's Canyon, and has 4 cores. It's 100 dollars more than the 4690k though. So why is it relevant? It has hyper threading. Almost all i7s have hyper threading, though I believe some mobile processors by Intel don't. Short answer, it's got 4 cores, and 8 threads, with 2 threads per core. So in video editing, big gains over no hyper threading, but more physical cores still win

CPU 3: The 5820k (i7). The X99 platform it runs on may be expensive, but this one is super cheap for a 6 core, 12 thread (hyper threading included) beast. It runs games as good as the 4790k, which runs games as good as the 4690k, so none of these so far bottleneck games. By the way, if I forgot to mention, the 4690k has no benefits over the 4690k, 4790k, and 5820k as games only take advantage of 4 cores, and don't take advantage of hyper threading (modern ones at least). So, 5820k is for workstation users who really need the power of 6 cores and 12 threads to speed up editing and rendering. Probably not you, as the 9590 is a pretty crappy chip

CPU 4: The Pentium, G3258. For low-mid end cards, this thing performs pretty well, IF you like overclocking. If you overclock the G3258, it'll actually do a good job. Note though, it's 2 cores, so remember that if you like modern games

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I play games and occasionally make videos for fun or for a class or whatever. I do play some modern games such as GTA 5, which will take out #4 right away. I don't really edit or render enough to need a CPU to speed that up, so #3 is probably out as well. Although I'd sort of rather have an i7, I am considering the 4690k.

Is hyper threading worth $100 for a gamer? At the same time though, will the i5 be basically useless to where I will just have to upgrade it again?

Also, how much heat does each one produce? Will the Seidon 120V have an issue cooling it during intesive tasks?

that seledon can cool all of the listed at stock and even with some overclocking. I would get the i7 for if you ever want to stream or record games. if you do not plan to do that, then really an i5 is fine. especially a fast one like the 4690K.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Depends. You said you edit videos. For streaming, the 4690k is good, but the 4790k will do better. The video editing is what I'm really focused on though. You said you do it for fun and for a class. Usually, classes requiring you to edit video have you do 1080p. The 4790k is a great 1080p editor, and will give you satisfying speeds. Just remember, the only disadvantage of the 4690k is it'll take longer.

Personally, I recommend the 4790k, but it's your pick.

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Okay. Also, if I get one of these can I do anything with my old CPU/Mobo, for example sell it? It is too late to return unfortunately. Also where could I sell it?

That old board and CPU should sell for an easy $300 I would think make an Ebay post, and then use this forum to make a [WTS] post. make sure you follow all the rules. This way, you tell people on the forum that you are selling the board though ebay with its resulting buyer protection, and you also reach all of ebay.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Ebay charges a fee, as well as Amazon. If you can, I'd put it on Craigslist first. If not, then turn to Ebay or Amazon.

Personally I'd keep it for a later build, just my opinion though

Twijn

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

I would likely not use this on a later build.

What do you mean by "fee," though?

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Amazon and Ebay ask for a fee when posting an item. I believe Amazon charges you 10% of the cost of the item, and Ebay 15%, don't quote me on that. Trust me Twijn, that's how they make their good money, not just all the damn advertisements.