Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) is it compatible with a Displayport1.2

sturgess

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
The new - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) is it compatible with a Displayport1.2 where I can use itwith two monitors - A Dell Laptop Im looking at has a Thunderbolt 3 but no displayports and I want to be able to connect to two monitors via their displayports { each monitor has a Displayport in /out } in a daisy chain manner, ( If I ask Dell they will tell me anything just to sell me the laptop ) SO I want a unbiased answer...

Solution
It's dependent on the model of laptop. Also not all USB ports are Thunderbolt 3 ports, so don't consider them interchangeable. For Dell, I know for sure than the XPS 15 (9550) and XPS 13 (9350) do support displayport monitors chained to their thunderbolt 3 ports. The maximum is 3 display devices in total including the internal screen active at a time. You will also need a Thunderbolt 3 to displayport converter, these are passive so they should be cheap.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
It's dependent on the model of laptop. Also not all USB ports are Thunderbolt 3 ports, so don't consider them interchangeable. For Dell, I know for sure than the XPS 15 (9550) and XPS 13 (9350) do support displayport monitors chained to their thunderbolt 3 ports. The maximum is 3 display devices in total including the internal screen active at a time. You will also need a Thunderbolt 3 to displayport converter, these are passive so they should be cheap.

Solution