Clean Windows 7 install on new SSD in Laptop, need help with selecting minimum required drivers.

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
My wife has had some issues with her ASUS N53SV-EH71 laptop, and long story short, I'm going to swap out the HDD with a new SSD, and do a clean install of Windows 7, and leave all the unneeded crap off, that was originally installed. I did this on my cheap ASUS A53E, that I use for Exede installs, and can't remember how I figured out the bare minimum, as far as drivers.
This is the list of drivers for the laptop
http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/N53SV/HelpDesk_Download/

Can anyone tell me exactly which drivers I "need", while avoiding some of the useless stuff ASUS installs.

Also....should I update the BIOS, since we never have? And it may help with the BSOD and freezing issues she's been having. From experience, an SSD is the single biggest gift a person can give their laptop, and though it may not solve her issues as they could be BIOS related it's still a no brainer, as far as an upgrade.

All that said, if the consensus is that I should update the BIOS, what does that entail, as I've never done it. I built a computer a few years ago, and been inside a few, so while by no means an "expert", I'm also not afraid of this type of, if it's straight forward, and low rick. Especially when it's the wife's laptop, not mine. :)

Thanks, in advance!

soulweeper

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Can anyone offer any input on this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the unneeded "crap" is in the "utilitiies" folder, correct?