4K video lagging playback. Which one should I upgrade, monitor or other component?

yayamiza93

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Hi everyone. :) I have a question. My pc can't play some 4k videos smoothly. Some videos like 4k youtube videos can be played smoothly but some larger files lags no matter what player I use. I'm using 1080p monitor and my pc spec is i3 4160, 8GB RAM, and gtx960. So if I buy 4k monitor can I play all 4k videos smoothly? or should I upgrade my gpu ,ram, or cpu?
And another question, how can I convert 4k videos to 1080p without losing much detail/quality. I've tried some video converter, but the converted video loss a lot of detail. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate anyone that could help me. :D

Solution

thanks for replying. :) Actually I've found the solution. I use daum player and the all my 4k video can be played smoothly now. It's weird though because popular players like vlc & mpc can't do the job but the unpopular one can do.
What's your CPU usage when having problems? Some video players are very CPU heavy and single threaded, if a thread is hitting 100% that will be the problem. If so you will want to try different video players unless someone can recommend a good one that uses the GPU

yayamiza93

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
my cpu usage during the playback is around 70 -90%. it's the same for all player.

yayamiza93

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

thanks for replying. :) Actually I've found the solution. I use daum player and the all my 4k video can be played smoothly now. It's weird though because popular players like vlc & mpc can't do the job but the unpopular one can do.

Solution