how does a normal restart not count as a restart for windows update?

winja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
How does a normal restart not count as a restart for windows update? windows update says it needs a restart, so i restarted it, and now it says it needs a restart, so i restarted it, now it says it needs a restart, so i restarted it, now it says i need to restart to make the updates finalized, so i restarted the computer, and windows update says i need to restart, so i restarted it, so now windows wants to schedule a restart......why does windows not understand i have restarted this laptop 80 kachillion times? at this point im not about to allow it to restart its self as that would mean windows wins.

Solution
What you're seeing is definitely not normal. I have Windows 10 on my laptop and two desktops and have never run into this problem. I'd look at Device Manager to see if anything listed has ! or ? next to it. Some of the Windows 8 drivers you had may not be compatible with Windows 10. You could also open an administrative command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow . That will check for and attempt to correct any corrupt system files. Finally you could download and run Malwarebytes to check for malware.

Good luck.

winja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008

this is a windows 8.1 laptop, with a windows 10 upgrade. all needed files and drivers were already on the computer and are still on the computer. everything works flawless on this computer and i have had zero other issues since windows 10 was installed.

winja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008

its not an infinite reboot loop. it simply always says i need to reboot the computer to finish the update. when i reboot it says i need to reboot....i am using the said computer right now. it just says it needs a reboot. when i reboot, it comes up and says it needs a reboot. in the slide bar on the right. ill post a screen grab in a few if it will let me post pictures

winja

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008

there are no errors in windows update. it says i need to restart. when i hit the windows key, i select power, restart. when the computer comes back up, it says i need to restart to finish updates........

Colif

Win 11 Master
so does it force a restart after 3 days or do you just reset it before it gets a chance?

can you look in the windows update screen and tell me the name of the update it keeps trying to load? It might help.

i kept having update try to load a printer driver for a printer on my home network that i didn't use, i just set my default printer to PDF and it stopped trying to give it to me

What you're seeing is definitely not normal. I have Windows 10 on my laptop and two desktops and have never run into this problem. I'd look at Device Manager to see if anything listed has ! or ? next to it. Some of the Windows 8 drivers you had may not be compatible with Windows 10. You could also open an administrative command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow . That will check for and attempt to correct any corrupt system files. Finally you could download and run Malwarebytes to check for malware.

Good luck.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS