6GB ram but only 2GB installed Windows 10

Thao

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
I own a Dell Inspiron n4110 that always worked wonderfully. I just recently updated to Windows 10 and noticed that I seem to lag more and take a longer time loading stuff. When I went to check my settings I noticed my installed ram now says I have 2 GB ram installed but I have or had 6GB ram before updating to Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Solution
Agree. No concern about the use of RAM per se.

I do not run Chrome and not familar with what all it is doing behind the scenes so to speak. Just wanted to point the process count out in case that was not a "normal" thing for Chrome.

Hopefully the memory module swaps will provide some insight with respect to the "awol" 4 GB RAM. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
What is the physical configuration: one 2 GB and one 4 GB or maybe 3 x 2GB?

Are all the modules seated tightly? That is the first thing I would check. Rock them back into place if not solidly seated.

Then run a memory diagnostic tool to see what it finds and reports.

Thao

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
One 2 GB and one 4 GB. I thought it might have been loose and that was one of the first things I checked. My experience with computers is very limited, only what little I pick up from my dad on rare occasions so I have no idea how to run a memory diagnostic tool >.<

Ralston18

Titan
There may or may not be a memory utility tool on the Dell.

You can find similar utilities on the internet but they can be problematic if not outright risky.

Set that aside for now....

Go into Task Manager and take a look at your system's details. See what services and processes are running....

Go to the Performance Tab and select the Memory choice. See what the system tells you about memory.

Down below that you should see "Open Resource Monitor". Click that and then select the Memory Tab. See what is reported there.

Post accordingly.

Thao

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016

Um this is what I got...not really sure on how to read it >.<

Ralston18

Titan
In your "this" link under memory I see Chrome's executable listed at least 5 times and utorrent twice.

And the the system does appear to only be recognizing 2 GB of DDR3 RAM.

There is also a lot of disk activity which may indicate virtual memory swapping due to lack of real memory. Would need to know more about what is normal for your system and what is being run at any given time. Just something to consider....

If you are comfortable doing so - pull the 2 GB module out and see if the system boots.

If not, then move the 4 GB module to the 2 GB's original swap and see if the system boots (should have 4 GB RAM if sucessful).

The purpose is to determine if there is a problem with either the 4 GB Module itself or its assigned slot.

And per Colif CPU-Z will also help with the RAM being seen by Windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lol. i never saw his link.

Don't need CPU Z, its only showing 1 sodimm on his Task manager/memory screen.

I have just as many chrome processes running with just two tabs running, but we not here to wonder what he uses ram for, just why the other 4gb has gone awol

Ralston18

Titan
Agree. No concern about the use of RAM per se.

I do not run Chrome and not familar with what all it is doing behind the scenes so to speak. Just wanted to point the process count out in case that was not a "normal" thing for Chrome.

Hopefully the memory module swaps will provide some insight with respect to the "awol" 4 GB RAM. Thanks.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
chrome has separate processes for a lot of the things Firefox adds all into one total. I find it can easily use 1gb of ram without trying, it all depends on what add ons you run too. i have about 11 chrome processes running now.
1gb of ram is nothing when you have 12.8gb free, but it sure sux when you only have 305mb free like OP does.