Would I notice the difference between a 1ms display to a 4ms display?? Looking for a new monitor

Nov 4, 2014
For 3 years i have had the ASUS VX248H Black 24 monitor. It is TN , 60hz , with a 1ms response time. Currently, i am looking into getting either the Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27-inch and the Acer XB270HU Abprz Black 2. My concerns are switching from 1ms to 4ms, and the issues that IPS panels have been said to have.

Since money is not really an issue, I just need to make an issue based on these response times. 1440p, 144hz, and gsync are all a must for me, but i am just concerned that i may notice a difference from 1 ms to 4 ms on the IPS panel. I am in no means a competitive gamer, but i do play first person shooters quite often, as well as many rpgs and other genres. So the color is important to me for visuals, but i don't want my fps gameplay or visuals to suffer due to higher response times.

Does anyone think that the Ips 4ms will change anything in the visuals or possibly affect my
performance in these games? And is the lightbleed/Ips glow issues worth the risk? The pros sound incredible, but will playing a game like tomb raider in like a cave just look crappy?

thank you for all responses/opinions :)

Solution
I have a couple of opinions, and remember, these are just that, opinions. 1st, I don't think you'd notice a 3ms difference in input times, they are both very fast, and if you can tell the difference, once you get used to the timing on the slower monitor, you'll be fine, you have no way of tuning yourself to that short a time, it'll be feel, and at 144Hz, there shouldn't be a problem with input lag, especially for a high end monitor. 2nd, TN panels have come a long way since they were first introduced. IPS has better color reproduction if you calibrate to real life color schemes, the problem with this is that when you go from uncalibrated to actual color, everything is going to look off for a while. Uncalibrated to real life, TN...
I have a couple of opinions, and remember, these are just that, opinions. 1st, I don't think you'd notice a 3ms difference in input times, they are both very fast, and if you can tell the difference, once you get used to the timing on the slower monitor, you'll be fine, you have no way of tuning yourself to that short a time, it'll be feel, and at 144Hz, there shouldn't be a problem with input lag, especially for a high end monitor. 2nd, TN panels have come a long way since they were first introduced. IPS has better color reproduction if you calibrate to real life color schemes, the problem with this is that when you go from uncalibrated to actual color, everything is going to look off for a while. Uncalibrated to real life, TN panels and IPS panels are pretty close in colors, and in games like RPGs, you might actually not want real life color but richer in game colors. People make a big deal out of IPS but unless it's costing you money to be color accurate and you're accustomed to that color palette, a TN panel might work just fine for you. IPS has better off center viewing color, but unless you're playing from the kitchen, you should be looking forward at your screen most of the time. My little brother has a similar monitor to mine, same size, refresh and everything, his is an IPS, and I can't tell the difference. Yes, the color reproduction is better, but not to a degree that I think I need to upgrade mine, and he does make money making band posters and such for people websites, that kind of thing, so for him it was a business decision, not a gaming decision. As far as the screen door light bleed issues, that seems to be monitor to monitor, and difficult to tell without actually getting a monitor in front of you. One might have bleed issues, and the next on the production line might be fine, and that goes back to panel manufacturers and the actual construction of the monitor as to how close the layers are getting and what they're using to adhere the layers. Make friends, call the local shop, and see if you can try out some monitors that you're looking at, do your research, and at the end of the day, unless you have both monitors right next to each other, you probably won't notice any difference. You're talking high end to high end, and both processes are mature at this point, so both will be viable.

Solution
Input lag is a completely different spec @jossrik.

No, you won't notice the difference. They're fake numbers ment to fool non tech experts.

No LCD can ever achieve 1 ms, not input lag, and not response time. The only way to achieve 1 ms response time, is to enable Lightboost.

Don't fall victim for marketing scams. Do consider IPS over TN however.

As for defects, its a lottery. You get a good panel, or you get a bad panel. That holds true to all 4 LCD panel types.

All the best!

Ya, I wrote that and wasn't even thinking input lag Vs response time for the panel, but you're right. And dead on about the panel types being up for grabs as to the quality.