Can you use a displayport 1.3 cable to a displayport 1.2 monitor?

PCguy132

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I am a gamer who has heard of the new "4K" gaming. If have thought of it a while and now I would buy the whole "new computer, monitor, graphics cards ext." package. But then I ran into a problem. I saw that most 4K monitors only support 60hz. I have solved that now but then I ran into another problem. The cable. I discovered that I should have a displayport 1.3 cable to support 4K gaming over 60 Hz. I cant find any monitors or graphics cards (at least not any good enough) that support displayport 1.3.
Therefore I thought that maybe I could connect the displayport 1.3 cable from a graphics card that support DP 1.2 to a monitor that also support DP 1.2. Can i do that.

So I ask you: Can I connect a displayport 1.3 cable from a graphics card (the nVidia Titan X) that supports displayport 1.2 to a monitor (Acer x34 predator) that also supports displayport 1.2? And would it work (would I could transfer over 60 Hz in 4K)?

Solution

In this article they say that the displayport 1.2 can transfer up to 60 Hz in 4K. (It's written as one of the first lines):
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/digital-home/displayport-vs-hdmi-whats-difference-3535257/

Therefore: I need a displayport 1.3 or greater to support 4K in +60hz.

PCguy132

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Its not that the Monitor needs a displayport 1.3 cable. Its just that a displayport 1.2 cable only can tranfer up to 60 Hz. So if I use that to connect my monitor with it wouldn't be able to get over 60 fps because the Cable only can transfer up to 60 Hz.

in such a detailed review if that was the case you would think they would have pointed out what cable they used at 100hz

since they specifically tested the overclocking of the monitor

though i didnt read every single line of the review as theres a lot of it

PCguy132

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

In this article they say that the displayport 1.2 can transfer up to 60 Hz in 4K. (It's written as one of the first lines):
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/digital-home/displayport-vs-hdmi-whats-difference-3535257/

Therefore: I need a displayport 1.3 or greater to support 4K in +60hz.

Solution

PCguy132

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

That is because that the monitor only support 60 Hz. when you get it. Then you get a displayport 1.2 cable with the monitor. But when you overclock it, it gets 100 Hz. That means that it isn't 100 Hz. just out of the box. To overclock something is to "cheat" and make it better than it was just out of the box. And that is why they not write anything about that because they made it 60 Hz. Not 100.