4 Issues I've been having since upgrading to Windows 10

TraverseHD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, so I'm having 4 different issues, and I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue on 3/4 of the problems. I upgraded most of the parts in my pc excluding my HDDs and GPU, but these issues were happening before hand.

• When I open "Task Manager" it shows that my CPU is running at 100% and then immediately jumps down to normal, but when I list the processes in order of CPU usage, it's Task Manager itself using the absurd amount.

When I start up my PC and look in "Performance" it shows that my up time is anywhere from 0:00:00:00 (which is normal) to 0:12:00:00+.. This morning when I turned on my pc it was somewhere around 1:15:20:00. It wasn't being booted from sleep mode, so I have no idea what's going on there.

I'm pretty sure this is probably my GPU's doing, but when I'm playing a game, let's use Smite in this instance, because that's the only game it has happened on since upgrading most of my parts a month or 2 ago. Anyways, my display and audio starts stuttering, sometimes even comes to a complete freeze, and either resumes or my computer blue screens giving me a watchdog error. I was keeping an eye on temperatures during this and didn't see any spikes, but I could feel heat coming from my pc..
    I was having a similar issue before upgrading my parts, but it wasn't bluescreening, my computer would just freeze and I would have to force restart it.

additional problem edit: I have replaced my mouse with one I know for sure works on other devices just fine, but on my PC the mouse has random spaz attacks where it will rapidly right click over and over until I click.

If anyone knows what's going on and can explain it to me I'd appreciate it :love:
Thank you in advance!

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
Not positive but with display and audio problems it sounds like your graphics card. Make sure all windows 10 updates are finished. Get the latest drivers for your graphics card , If its an NVidia card use GeForce Experience to update, not sure for AMD based cards but latest updates hopefully will fix those two issues. I have a dual boot with both Win 7 ultimate and Win 10 Pro and both running identical programs for evaluation purposes. My biggest issue was having proper updates.

TraverseHD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

When you say bios, I assume the Motherboard right? if so I just updated it right after reading this and the issues still persist sadly.

As for drivers, I have Windows 10 100% up to date, but not sure how I'd go about making sure all my drivers are. I know for sure everything on my motherboards end is up to date, I installed all the drivers from MSI's support page for my specific Motherboard, which is a "Z97S SLI Krait Edition" if that matters. The Storage drivers are the only ones that wouldn't install.

I also know for sure that my GPU drivers are up to date, it is an old card so I'm assuming it's the root of the 3rd problem. It's a GTX 650 Ti. Other than that I'm just not sure.

TraverseHD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Yeah, probably should invest in a new GPU, still rocking a GTX 650 ti haha.. I have it's drivers up to date though. Same with Windows 10 Updates, I checked and it says my device is up to date.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
I've used this program in the past to do cleanup on a few machines, it's called Glary Utilities. Besides removing junk files and cleaning the registry it will let you know what programs and such have out of date versions which you can update through a site called File Hippo. I will not download from them but go directly to a site for updates. It does catch stuff people miss so is handy once in a while. It also uninstalls easily. It might find something that Windows update missed and won't screw up your rig. Sorry nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Word of warning though

I just downloaded driver booster thinking, must be good, a moderator recommended it...
Find 14 drivers outstanding,
download Bluetooth driver, no problems...
download broadcom Ethernet driver... it goes to install and pc freezes
Restart pc, it kept freezing on the circle cursor, 4th restart it goes into repair mode, I run system restore because fortunately the drive booster set a restore point on previous driver

then afterwards windows defender decided it was going to be my firewall and AV again, which was strange, Bitdender was turned off.... had to turn it on and off again in its settings before it took over.

I knew there was a reason I don't like driver update programs. Still looking for one I can trust.

TraverseHD

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Well, I haven't checked often that's for sure, mainly because I don't know of a good freeware antivirus. I've just been sticking to Windows Defender. I have reinstalled windows 10 about 3 times though, so I'm not so sure it's a virus. I just did a scan with Windows Defender and it came out clean. I used to use Spybot though.

I did use Driver Booster a while back, but it caused more problems than it was worth sadly.