5.1 surround sound issue

Vadendil

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
So I just upgraded to windows 10 by performing a clean installation.
Seems ok so far except for one extremely annoying issue: the sound. I'm using a 5.1 surround system and after the upgrade simply put, there is no bass.
In nearly every game I have to take the speakers halfway to maximum in order to get the same sound level as I got in win 8.1 when having them at about 25%.
And the bass...damn...it's basically gone: the subwoofer's at max level and I still don't get the same bass level as I got before when it was at about 1/3.
So while playing games like Company of Heroes one can barely hear any explosions and the gunfire sounds as if someone's shooting inside a huge barrel.
In one word everything sounds hollow.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I already tried reinstalling the sound drivers but that didn't fix it. I even got the drivers for windows 8.1 and installed those and still the same problem.
As I am out of ideas I could use some suggestions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh, I was looking at the gigabyte in your sig here., good chance you have Realtek in the laptop, almost everything does,

is it the laptop having problems, and if so, what model so i can work out the codec it uses.

Vadendil

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

yes realtek high definition audio it is and the laptop is a MSI GT70 2PC
tell me if you need more

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems we both wrong: Sound by Dynaudio with subwoofer, Support 7.1 channel S/PDIF output, Exclusive Audio Boost technology, Creative Sound Blaster Cinema

and yet the drivers are from Realtek on the listing. That is just confusing

can you see what driver version you have??

Vadendil

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

dynaudio are the laptop speakers themselves but the driver for audio is from realtek
https://gyazo.com/8e7511608579eb6145273c9669bcb2a3

Colif

Win 11 Master
its pretty much impossible to figure out what codec you have. These are the newest Realtek drivers now, their numbering scheme hasn't changed a great deal:http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/Realtek%20HD%20Audio%20Driver

Colif

Win 11 Master
thanks for trying, i don't think that helps us. Its 4 Microsoft codecs and the one you need to play MP3 with.
I will have to look more, but i can't now as I have to go.
Might be faster to ask on an MSI forum and ask them what drivers you should use.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Creative Sound blaster cinema, might be software that helps bass. Do you still have any install discs in the box or something? You can't download creative OEM software but if you have the cd, you probably can update it

Vadendil

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

I've tried installing realtek from the cd that came with the laptop (no other audio related driver/software on it) but still the same issue
I'll give this thing one or two more days...if the problem persists I guess the only solution is windows 7 as 10 has been an issue machine so far