BSOD Caused by ntoskrnl.exe

myattsnider

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hey everyone,

So I keep getting BSOD's from ntoskrnl.exe and I'm fairly new to DIY PC things so I need some help.

Idk whether it would be my ram or drivers or games or what, but my computer has issues downloading games for more than 3-4.5GB at a time. and it also had a bad download of GTAV.

I'm running windows 10

Ram is 2 sticks of 8GB of DDR4-3000 Memory by Geil, also my boot drive is a Samsung 850 evo M.2 SSD

Here is a link to my minidump files screencap http://imgur.com/dOhACc4

Solution
An update for everyone.

I found out that I had a faulty stick of ram, and that it was causing the computer to have errors be created from being misinterpreted by the ram and thus cause the crash. Since removing it I haven't had a single crash.

PS, I wiped the boot drive just to get the faulty files off. All is well :D
Hello... Your Razer driver is indicated... Rzudd.sys
Typically a BSOD/Freeze/Boot problem will report a file that caused the problem... look for that.
1) Go to Computer-manage-Event viewer-Windows logs and read/report/post back the Logged error screens.
2) Are you overclocking?
3) Did you do Driver/hardware updates before the problem? try a "restore point" before the problem started.
4) what are your Computer parts and specs?

My first guess based on all the MEMORY indications is that your DDR4 memory is bad or setup incorrectly.

www.memtest86.com

Run for a full pass or until you get errors. If it passes then we'll have to look elsewhere. If it FAILS, then:

a) update motherboard BIOS
b) make sure CPU and DDR4 is mostly default (I'd just use factory default but select "XMP" and save)

Still have memory issues?
See motherboard manual for which slot to use ONLY one stick then test one at a time. If one fails, and the other does not then it's a bad memory stick.

That's one crash of many. Look at the Bug Check String. When you get Memory management, IRQ less than equal as well as driver errors it generally means bad memory.

Bad memory can corrupt any data stored in it so any driver can show errors.

Not saying that this is absolutely the problem, just that it seems mostly likely.

myattsnider

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

What would indicate that ram would be bad? I just checked in the PC info and it's registering the ram.

myattsnider

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Update,

Am running Driver booster right now, had a lot of drivers out of date. That could be the solution, if not I'll take photonboy's suggestion and run the memory test.

myattsnider

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

Doing the driver updates now, many of them were out of date. No I'm not overclocking. I wanted to make sure everything was in perfect working order before I even bothered with that.

I gave a link to the memory test www.memtest86.com

1) Burn a DVD or USB stick to boot
2) Boot to Memtest86
3) run the DEFAULT test (don't choose CPU multithread or other options) for a FULL PASS which is approximately 30 min for 8GB

This will read and write to your DDR4 memory sticks. It's almost 100% proof of no DDR4 memory issues. If you do have issues then data on the memory sticks gets corrupted and can show as many types of errors.

Other:
You can run the Windows memory diagnostic but it's not as good. Still, if it shows ERRORS your memory is likely defective or setup incorrectly.

Settings-> type "memory"-> choose "diagnose your computer's memory problems" etc. (run for an hour, unless it indicates when a full pass finishes, or errors.)

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Any BSOD caused by a driver (which is what ntoskrnl.exe is) can often be fixed by booting into Safe Mode and either disabling or re-installing the driver. If the issue persists after this it could be other things, but first thing I always try is to re-install the driver as often times this will fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't rush out and uninstall this:

ntoskrnl.exe (Short for Windows NT operating system kernel,) also known as kernel image, provides the kernel and executive layers of the Windows NT kernel space, and is responsible for various system services such as hardware virtualization, process and memory management, thus making it a fundamental part of the system. It contains the cache manager, the executive, the kernel, the security reference monitor, the memory manager, and the scheduler.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntoskrnl.exe

myattsnider

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
An update for everyone.

I found out that I had a faulty stick of ram, and that it was causing the computer to have errors be created from being misinterpreted by the ram and thus cause the crash. Since removing it I haven't had a single crash.

PS, I wiped the boot drive just to get the faulty files off. All is well :D

Solution