GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE displaying nothing when turning on brand new built PC

Rich Piano

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I am new to this. SO please don't get angry if my question is not greatly written.

i have just finished building my band new pc i have turned the pc on and nothing is being displayed to the monitor. I do get a message saying that nothing is being detected and that i need to check if the machine is in sleep mode other wise chose from the options of vga dvi display port or automatic select i have tried every type of way to get the detection to occur and still no luck please help.

i tried to connect a hdmi to dvi-d and i have tried hdmi to hdmi display port. I have also not installed anything on the machine so i have not put in the cd for the graphics card into the drive for installing if that can help in diagnosing my issue. When i try to use the motherboard hdmi display and hdmi ports i get the same issue.

---
Not sure how to make my comment at the bottom the best answer so i will add it here.
Hi All issue resolved. So on the z97 mark 2 it has light indicators at every point of your add ons so ram gpu cpu etc... so if you get my issue which was no signal was going to the monitors from my z97 motherboard and gigabyte gtx 970 using DVI and hdmi, first have a look at those lights they will indicate to you by staying red if there is a problem. From there you can investigate. In my case the light went red on the RAM the issue well......one of the Ram sticks did not connect properly. After making the adjustment all was fine. Assume the power was not circulating all the way through. So thanks junkeymonkey for your input

Solution
'' and nothing is being displayed to the monitor. I do get a message saying that nothing is being detected and that i need to check if the machine is in sleep mode other wise chose from the options of vga dvi display port or automatic select i have tried every type of way to get the detection to occur and still no luck please help.''

must be displaying to get them messages ??

you have all psu pci-e leads hooked to the card properly ?? [Power Connector6-Pin / 8-Pin ] all must be in

does you motherboard have a dvi ?? hdmi to hdmi can be flakily and may need driver support ?? I never try to use them full hdmi cables I prefer dvi to whatever for these reasons ?

also try to pull the card in and out of its slot 2 or 3 times...
'' and nothing is being displayed to the monitor. I do get a message saying that nothing is being detected and that i need to check if the machine is in sleep mode other wise chose from the options of vga dvi display port or automatic select i have tried every type of way to get the detection to occur and still no luck please help.''

must be displaying to get them messages ??

you have all psu pci-e leads hooked to the card properly ?? [Power Connector6-Pin / 8-Pin ] all must be in

does you motherboard have a dvi ?? hdmi to hdmi can be flakily and may need driver support ?? I never try to use them full hdmi cables I prefer dvi to whatever for these reasons ?

also try to pull the card in and out of its slot 2 or 3 times to help ''scratch'' in good contact with there golden fingers

Solution
well ok ?

I was looking at this as well

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/527273452871454587/

that's was where I was going to go with next if the motherboard would work if the 970 was removed from the board ??

well anyway good luck if you got it going -- enjoy

'' so basically 1 cable connected to both ports on the graphics card is that wrong as that is how i saw some do it on the internet ''

I would use 2 leds pre port just because I got them to use - cant hurt to try that out ?

kinda hard to say

thing that gets me the most is how giga cards in the 900 series keep the lowest rating at like newegg just 49% ?? to me if something in a card is not at least 70+% or more i'll just pass it by that don't look good for it to start with ??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685

anyway that sleep thing you said sure seem like something s in a low power state recheck all you psu leads to the board to be sure there plugged in all the way and correct could be a lemon psu ??

remove the card and retry the onboard and see it it works with out the card in the slot

[its getting late here I may ditch on you until some time in the AM i'll check back

i'll add one more thing to this is some time these older board I ssumw from your vid you got a asus ASUS P8Z77-V ??

you may need to update to the latest bios for support of the newer 900 cards and if that's your board it was from 2013 ??

[sad thing you go to asus and select z77 and this is all they now show ??] talk about drop you like a hot potato ...

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Intel-platform-Products/

anyway look over this as well

http://superuser.com/questions/904911/asus-p8z77-v-lx-and-gtx-970-not-working-in-pci-e-16x

I see asus sabertooth well I guess now all I can say is good luck ya, I had 3 sabertooths 990fx am3's and I guess all they did for me was sink there saber teeth in to my bill fold ..lol... not to say the intel is the same but .....

lets start back

so you installed the card on that other board in that vid ?? did the card work on it or did the same as with the new sabertooth ?? if the card failed on 2 separate systems it maybe a bad card ?? or seeing your using the same psu in both test beds psu issue ???

then on your new sabertooth what cpu have you goit installed and do you have the correct bios to support that chip [say your board shipped to you with bios 001 on it and the cpu you installed needs bios 008 that can be at issue and a cause ]

Rich Piano

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
hey no that vid was simply a reference for correctly cabling the graphics card. there is power through out the machine every fan runs the cpu runs the hard drives etc the issue is nothing is being displayed i have not installed any bios or gpu drivers as the monitor does not give me the chance to open up to be able to do the install. so i removed the gpu and tried only the motherboard still the same issue. changed the pci and still the same issue tried two monitors and nothing has changed can using different cables have this type of affect?

then arte you sure the monitor works ?? or its cable is not bad - seems super odd the motherboard vid don't work as well

what about the cpu deal I brought up ? is the shipped bios on the board compatible with the cpu your using ?? that can be important

thing is how do you get them warnings you said at first if you don't get display

''. I do get a message saying that nothing is being detected '' so how ???

Rich Piano

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
yep both monitors work one was being used by my sister the other one is my work one like i worked on it during the day then at lunch time took it home and tested it. intel4970k is the processor and that goes with the z97. so the message comes from the monitor it self telling me no signal is being received from the computer. and i can't do any updating to bios or gpu until the monitors come up so i can see what is happening.

I guess you mean 4790k ?? see --- Core i7-4790K (4.0Ghz, 4C, HT, L3:8M, HD Graphic, 88W, rev.C0) ALL 1008

that chip seems to need bios 1008

best I can tell first release bios is 0801 ?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z97_MARK_2/HelpDesk_Download/

I don't get why the plain 4790 non K works under all bios's but the 4790''K'' seems to need 1008 ?? don't know maybe the difference in things workin right or not ??

no clue on why that is

one more thing as well I guess when you installed the cpu you did so carefully and did not bend the socket pins ? it can be easy to goof and do on intel

also you would think you would get some kind of error beeps ? unless that's been removed form the board [now getting more common these days ]

review this guide , maybe something in it to help out ?/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-repair-upgrade-maintenance-testing,3629.html

Rich Piano

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Hi All issue resolved. So on the z97 mark 2 it has light indicators at every point of your add ons so ram gpu cpu etc... so if you get my issue which was no signal was going to the monitors from my z97 motherboard and gigabyte gtx 970 using DVI and hdmi, first have a look at those lights they will indicate to you by staying red if there is a problem. From there you can investigate. In my case the light went red on the RAM the issue well......one of the Ram sticks did not connect properly. After making the adjustment all was fine. Assume the power was not circulating all the way through. So thanks junkeymonkey for your input