Buying regular SSD + External SSD Enclosure vs. External SSD

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I am considering these two models:

OCZ Trion 150 960GB - 220$
Samsung T1 Portable 1 TB USB 3.0 External SSD - 379$

The Samsung is a bit smaller and a bit lighter. That's all the advantages I could find.
I already have a USB 3.0 enclosure. Besides the size, is there any other reason why I should spend extra 159$ on the Samsung?

Or to put it another way: is an external SSD in any way better than an internal SSD + enclosure?

Thanks

I use OCZ and Crucial SSD's in 3.0 enclsoures. I see no difference, at least when using USB 3.0, than when they are plugged into SATA ports. They aren't that fast, the Crucial is the only one that can saturate the USB 3.0 but the speed is almost the same as sata so if you have a good USB 3.0 enclosure just get the SSD. No point on spending another 160

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for the answer.

But just to make sure we are on the same page, what I am trying to understand is if the Samsung T1 is basically same like an internal SSD + enclosure, but just packed together nicely?

Yup just like any other external hard drive or ssd. it is just an normal SSD/HDD in a nice enclsoure (Except some newer portable HDD's the boards circuit board has the USB adapter on it so you can't use it as an internal drive)