Gaming on tv with 120hz

Ashish Chaudhary

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
quick ques i am about to buy a new 50 inch led tv which i think got 120hz but i have a monitor of 60hz same resolution 1920x1080 on both what m gonna do plug both tv with hdmi on graphic card and monitor with dvi or vga also on graphic card and play with tv and rest of stuff or browsing n all with monitor so will i face any problem in display or anything because of 120hz of my tv ?? and by duplicating the screen do i need to worry abt the input lags on pc gaming ??

Solution

That's correct. But, generally, 60 Hz is the limit on most of the other TV's on the market, even running 1080p on 4k. That's because earlier on, the 4k TV's that they shipped, only came with HDMI 1.4. Only recently is when we started to see...
Even if your TV is native 120 Hz (which most of them are, even 4k TV's), you will be getting no higher than 60 Hz, because a TV doesn't act like a monitor, when connected to an external device, in that sense they're very different.

Depending on which TV you're planning to buy, it's not possible to tell you. Stay around 40 ms or lower in terms of input lag, and you'll be good, if you play using a 500 or 1000 Hz refresh rate mouse.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is incorrect for a few TVs: Sony XBR-series, Vizio P-Series, and Vizio M-Series. Those really are 120 Hz @ 1080p when used as a monitor, but only 60Hz at 1080p 4:4:4 (the Sonys) and only 60 Hz at 4k (Sonys and Vizios).

That's correct. But, generally, 60 Hz is the limit on most of the other TV's on the market, even running 1080p on 4k. That's because earlier on, the 4k TV's that they shipped, only came with HDMI 1.4. Only recently is when we started to see HDMI 2.0 on graphics cards, and TV's. I didn't mean to say that no 4k TV's support displaying true 120 Hz. Sorry if that confused you, not my intention.

Solution