Changed Documents folder location, need help troubleshooting

David Wicks

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Hello,

So I recently reinstalled Win10 and all that. I wanted this time to keep my C:\ drive, which is my SSD, as free as possible. So, I wanted to move my User folder. I only really use Desktop and Documents so that's all I had to swap. So I right clicked, properties, changed location path, cool, it worked blah blah

Problem is, when I play a game that I know creates a folder in Documents for savegame and other files, they don't show up. Some games even save config files for game settings, and I can tell they are clearly saving because my settings stay the same when I restart these games, but the folder they're supposed to be in is not in Documents!

So my question is two-fold: how do I go about fixing this problem while keeping Documents off my C:\ drive, and where the hell exactly are these files that are supposed to be created by these games going?

Solution
They should be made whereas you put the folder locations as.

If not, they could be in the users folder on C, the default place for documents.

Did you move all the contents when you made them or just the location?

Colif

Win 11 Master
They should be made whereas you put the folder locations as.

If not, they could be in the users folder on C, the default place for documents.

Did you move all the contents when you made them or just the location?

Solution

David Wicks

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I know it's old, but I want to update this in case anyone comes across it on Google or something.

Turns out, my documents (along with other folders) were automatically syncing with OneDrive (Windows 10 here) and that's where everything was hiding. Check OneDrive.