Windows 10 update wont install from 8.1, pc just restarts instead

Daniel_203

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Basically like a month ago I turned my pc off and I think windows 10 tried to automatically install, I didnt realise it was updating and just thought my pc was taking forever to turn off, so I held the power button to turn off. Ever since when I turn my pc off it says to install windows 10 (not in the corner, a full pop up now which you cant close) and whenever I try to install it, my pc just restarts like it would if you pressed the restart button! I would like to install windows 10 so I can get all the latest updates etc, please help!

Daniel_203

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Its also worth noting I tried to edit the registry or something when I tried to fix it myself, this didnt work but I may have done it wrong!Also I tried downloading the windows 10 install thing on its own and it just redownloads the update but doesnt install it still.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You best of downloading win 10 iso on another pc, especially since it doesn't work right on yours.

then use advanced start up to boot from the usb or dvd and do a custom install of win 10

win 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

as for updates, if you get latest iso you will have latest version except maybe flash.

you can use your 8.1 key to activate 10 once its installed

Solution

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
download the usb tool on a very good usb stick i use a lexar download as multi aritecture 32/64 gives u options but i recommend the 64 bit if u have a legit key from 8.1 previos download it as dont have key go advanced setings pick where u want it installed & install ur windows account will reactivate the key after a couple updates dates & shutdown & restarts just keep doing updates till u cant no more give the registry a clean & download genie driver & does all ur bios & other hardware with power runr