Monitor randomly gives no input signal error message

Katsuoto

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Hello everyone
I'm in a bit of pickle here. My current pc is less, maybe 1 year old (ill list the specs below). My monitor is much older think 7 year mark and is a Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD. I have used this screen with multiple pc's and a ps3 in the past. But lately I've come across a somewhat odd issue.

From time to time regardless of what im doing (even when the pc is idle) i'll get a message saying "no input signal detected" sometimes just for a second and it goes away. No further problems. But sometimes my screen will just go black as if nothing was plugged in and give that same message. I can still hear people messaging me on skype or steam so the pc is definitly still running. The only way i have managed to get my screen back is by fiddling with the HDMI and refreshing the source.

Now earlier everything was working fine, I went to get dinner and came back to a black screen with that dreaded message. This time it took me a good half hour of refreshing and contemplating life before i got it back to work.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

ps: i can add that its not the temperatures, checked with hw monitor. Nor is it sleepmodus I got all windows energy savings turned off. Also it boots fine I get the one beep. I also didnt find any error in the system log.

pc specs:

cpu: intel i5 4590
gpu: amd r9 280x
mobo: gigabyte h97m-3dh
psu: thermaltake berlin 630w
8g ram
win8.1

Solution
you have 2 circuit boards in that monitor, a video controller board & a power board. I think you have a bad capacitor on either of those 2 boards. confirm that it is a monitor issue by taking the videocard out & using the onboard video.

Katsuoto

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Power cord into a sort of a "plug splitter?" (sorry not native english) that has my pc, speakers, monitor and a lamp in it.

Katsuoto

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

straight from the screen into the power bar no block in between.

you have 2 circuit boards in that monitor, a video controller board & a power board. I think you have a bad capacitor on either of those 2 boards. confirm that it is a monitor issue by taking the videocard out & using the onboard video.

Solution