Installing Windows 8 over pre-installed Windows 10

gx240

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm buying a new laptop, but it has to have Windows 8 on it. Can I just buy a system with Windows 10 pre-installed, buy an OEM copy of windows 8 (like this one here), and then wipe the hard drive and install Windows 8 from scratch? I know most systems that come pre-installed with Windows 10 store the license key in the UEFI/BIOS. Would this cause any problems when I try to install Windows 8? Would using a Windows 8 OEM key be an issue with a computer that previously had Windows 10 on it?

Solution
if you buy a copy windows 8 you will have to use the key that comes with it. the only way that key in the BIOS would be valid for a windows 8 install is if the laptop came with windows 8 and you did an upgrade to windows 10 to 10. so one option would be to get a copy of windows 8 and install it and then downgrade back to windows 8. this way the key you used for your windows 8 OEM install will be valid for windows 10 too. but as always it is best to keep a copy of the key that came with your copy of windows 8 just in case
if you buy a copy windows 8 you will have to use the key that comes with it. the only way that key in the BIOS would be valid for a windows 8 install is if the laptop came with windows 8 and you did an upgrade to windows 10 to 10. so one option would be to get a copy of windows 8 and install it and then downgrade back to windows 8. this way the key you used for your windows 8 OEM install will be valid for windows 10 too. but as always it is best to keep a copy of the key that came with your copy of windows 8 just in case

Solution

gx240

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Right, that's what I want to do. I don't have any intention of using the Windows 10 key in the BIOS. I just want to make sure that the previous Windows 10 installation or the key in the BIOS won't interfere in any way with installing Windows 8.

even if it does you can always input the key after the install