Very confused on FreeSync with nVidia, Asus MG279Q

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi guys,

I have been looking into monitors recently, and I know I want a 27 inch 1440p monitor with an IPS panel. (I have been using IPS panel for years now and I am too scared to go back to TN lol).

I'm a casual gamer, although I have 2xGTX970 in SLI just because I've always wanted to try that.. Lately I have been very busy anyway, the only thing I play is Smite and some CSGO casually in the evenings.

So I stumbled upon this Asus MG279Q (570€) which looks VERY good, but it has FreeSync.. Will it cause issues? My budget is really MAX 600€ on this.. I cannot seem to find an appropriate answer for this FreeSync/GTX topic..

There is also the Asus MX27AQ, which is a 60Hz monitor with a gorgeous screen at 5ms AH IPS. Very color accurate etc. Around the 500€ mark.

Any suggestions? G sync seems way too expensive even at this budget... Ridiculous..

Solution
Crap, I clicked the wrong thing. Sorry

If you're worried about screen tearing however, then G-sync should be the most important feature to you, it was specifically made to prevent it.

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

In my price range, 1440p 27 inch i can't seem to find g sync... G sync puts a price of 200€ at least on top of a screen.. Any screen suggestions? Or which screen should i go for if its just the two i mentioned?

Hello,

Paste from a recent thread

Majority (my guess: 99%), buying "accurate" monitors, probably don't even know how we perceive colors. Buying an accurate monitor means that you have to use it in the same room temperature it was calibrated in, at all times, otherwise the colors you see on it, aren't accurate. That's something majority of consumers simply don't have any control over, unless your room is the basement.

You will get better contrast uniformity going with an IPS monitor. I don't recommend TN. If you use NVIDIA, go with GSync, buying a monitor that will last for 5+ years, isn't something that you want to regret later on, just because you went with FreeSync. Consider buying a AMD GPU later, if you buy the MG279Q.

All the best!

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

I just got the MG279Q monitor, and what I do not understand is why I should consider buying an AMD gpu? I have never used G/Freesync or anything like it. I run 2x970 in SLI, and I really don't think you need a Sync feature, and on top of that, I think AMD hasn't been worth buying for a few years now. My GTX970s are powerful, efficient and quiet!

As long as your system is powerful enough, why even bother with AMD/Sync ?

I got this monitor for its panel, refresh rate, response time and size..

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

GSync/Freesync completely eliminates any variance between the refresh rate of the screen and your GPU's ability to update. Every GPU has this issue even your SLI'd 970's. This article has some demos showing how it works and why its worth it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/g-sync-tested-is-it-worth-the-price-or-destined-for-the-parts-pile/

The reason he suggested AMD is because you bought a Freesync monitor which is an AMD technology, so you can't use this feature. For a pair of 970's you want GSync which is the Nvidia version. These technologies make a huge difference which is why its worth it, and what we were trying to tell you.

Seems to be too late now for that though.

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Its not too late for that, I have a period of reviewing and sending it back of 14 days for money back.

Thing is, the Gsync monitor costs about 200 euros more for the ASUS swift version and about 130 euros more for the Acer XB model.. So instead of 570 euros I pay 780/ 700 and that is so much

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

IPS 566 euros:

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236660&cm_re=g-sync-_-24-236-660-_-Product

545 euros:

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004&cm_re=g-sync-_-24-106-004-_-Product

Its a no brainer

Because games are poorly optimised. The best optimised titles are on console, i.e 30 FPS in console is often smoother (less stutter) than new PC titles at 60 FPS. It goes a long way. FreeSync makes sure that you don't stutter (doesn't work in all games), screen tear, and unlike VSync, the incresed input lag by GSync and FreeSync, is so small that you won't notice it.

If you don't notice these problems already, especially running SLI, then that's a good thing. FreeSync/GSync is a niche, which you pay a huge premium for, GSync about 50% more than FreeSync, for basically the same thing. It sounds líke you're interested though, you didn't create this thread to tell people you bought a MG279Q monitor.

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

those are pounds mate, so much more expensive in euros :p

burbee

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Yes I am interested because at this price point, I don't want a half-assed screen where I get screen tearing, you know. I just want the full experience for the product I pay.. I didn't think screen tearing would be an issue that the sync features solved on 60+Hz