Fresh Install Capably-Upgraded OS Before Upgrade?

Title doesn't explain it well, but I know someone who has a splendora of issues with his computer. To try to resolve these bizarre issues, I plan to completely reinstall the Windows operating system (it's on a laptop). It currently has Windows 8.1 and has the option to upgrade to 10. I'm going to write down the product key. Could I simply wipe it, install Windows 10 via a disc, and then enter the product key that is the same product key it originally had? Or would I have to actually go through the Windows 10 update process and then wipe it clean and install Windows 10? Or could I only install Windows 8.1 clean?

Solution
With the November build of Win 10, you can do a clean install of Win 10, and activate it with a qualifying, valid, Win 7 or 8.1 license key.

You don't have to Upgrade first.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
u should be right all i did was loaded my update to 10 all my 8.1 pro set up & steam games loaded straight over no issues u keep ur seting i got an asus no issues
my current set up is what i am using i never had to reenter passwords as the way i set mine up on 8.1 its a tickle up & freshen up on 8.1 reley i recommend it new os better on making hardware run at full power