FX-6300 mild OC on M5A78L-M LX3

Ascorbate

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hello, I have a FX-6300 processor on a M5A78L-M LX3 mobo.
Yes I know, it's a cheap mobo not designed for FX processors or OC, with few phases and no vrm heatsinks. But unfortunately it's the only mobo I have.
My question is: is it safe/doable to aim for a 3.8 ghz OC (multiplier at 19x) with stock voltages on this mobo?

Thanks in advance.

Other specs:
8 gb RAM, Hyper 212 Plus cooler, PSU (don't remember brand) 37,5A on 12v rail, GTX 960 2gb, Cooler Master 690 III case.

Ascorbate

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
First of all thank you for your replys.

But doesn't turbo core feature only set 2 cores to 4.1Ghz and underpower the rest?
If I OC, all cores/modules will work to the specific frecuency setted.
In that case, will it be more power consumption in spite of the stock voltages?

I apologize for my english, it's not my native language.

Ascorbate - yes you're absolutely right with your assumptions.

& yes 3.8ghz is about the Max I'd push on that board , it won't affect thermals or voltage - they'll likely be lower than stock settings with turbo enabled.

Just change multiplier to 19 & disable turbo core & c6 states in bios.

Ryan_78

Honorable
I wouldn't disable c6 states and turbo core. I would just raise turbo core, or core performance boost limit to 19. Raise multiplier to 19 and just don't do anything else. You can work on stock cooling even, but since you have 212 plus, it will be a good plus. The power saving features are quite useful and the undrclocking tool is quite useful when idling. It saves quite a lot of power. My fx 4300 can idle at 703 MHz and clocks up to 4545 MHz. Maybe turn off turbo core, but c6 and c1e and cool and quiet leave on.

C6 won't affect idle load voltages mate , disabling it just stops drastic voltage drops under 60%+ load which can cause instability.

Leaving turbo enabled is worthless on any fx chip nowadays , its more of a hindrance than anything on current multi-threaded titles, leaving it on will still drop 3 or 4 cores to 3000mhz under heavy load which is detrimental for the most part.

A straight 3.8ghz base clock with turbo disabled will 99% of the time perform better.

Ascorbate

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

You have helped me a lot.
Thank you!