Windows wont boot in new ssd after cloning it

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Ok guys i need your help with this, im tire and i cant see any to make this work. I bought a new ssd today, i cloned my old hdd with easus todo backup, then after that i went to the bios and put the ssd as first boot device, that didnt work, it botted from the hdd, so i go ahead and disconnect the old hdd, then it says "reboot and select proper boot device" , i read somewhere that as i have 2 os (2 windows 10) that might was the problem, so i had to formatt the hdd, which i did and still says "reboot and select proper boot device" i dont want to reinstall the os in the sdd I want to boot it from there with all my files and things. So what can i do to solve this. I have achi actived, i dont know what else to do. Every comment will be handy.

Solution

You may need to repair the MBR (Master boot record) and the main partition needs to be set as "active".
Do you have a windows disk?
If you do, follow these steps to fix the MBR...
Hello there, Rafael!

I'm afraid that since you reformatted the HDD, you'd need to clean install the OS on the SSD. This will require you to reformat it as well, though. I hope you have backed up your files elsewhere before beginning the procedure.
The good news is that clean installing Windows on the SSD is actually the better option because you'll avoid transferring the redundant files from your previous install. Since you're using the same computer, you can easily clean install the OS using the MS guidelines. It will require you to create a bootable flash/USB drive with the OS.
A very important tip to keep in mind is to unplug the secondary HDD from the SATA ports on the motherboard, so that you avoid the OS confusion (It could cause a lot of booting issues and require you to reinstall Windows again).
I'd advise you to follow this very detailed Windows Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs.

Keep me posted if you have any additional questions! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015

Hi there, thanks for your help the link of the ms guidilines redirect me to here, i want to ask why i cant do anything just to install a new copy? i haven't tried yet to repair the sdd using the windows 10 repair tool, dows it worth the try?

jasonkaler

Distinguished
The problem is that you probably only cloned the C: drive and not all the other stuff that is needed for a disk to be bootable.
A disk needs a few things to be bootable, and they're not easy for the average person to do.

You can try booting from a windows disk and doing a repair.

Some other people have had your exact problem here:
http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-to-make-a-hard-drive-bootable-373491/
see heading "You saved my life too "

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015

I did cloned everything, i cloned all the hdd to the sdd

Hey there again, Rafael!

It's not uncommon for some cloning utilities to fail to transfer the data properly. :( You could try using the Window Repair tool to fix your issue. If you haven't formatted the HDD you could have repeated the cloning/migrating procedure again, however, at this point a clean install is probably a better choice. This will ensure that the SSD's performance is solid and that there won't be booting issues caused by the failed cloning process.

SuperSoph_WD

jasonkaler

Distinguished

You may need to repair the MBR (Master boot record) and the main partition needs to be set as "active".
Do you have a windows disk?
If you do, follow these steps to fix the MBR: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Do you have another PC with the same version of windows you can put your drive into?
If you do, run the following command when the drive is in:
bcdboot c:\windows /s H:
(where H: is the new drive you want to copy the windows system files to.)

Solution