Windows 10 full shutdown & can't access BIOS

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte z170x gaming 3 mobo and Windows 10 Pro. Because of Windows 10 Hybrid shutdown, I could not access BIOS during boot. I turned off "fast startup" hoping this would solve the problem, but it didn't. I disabled hibernate with the command "powercfg -h off", but still I can't access the BIOS during boot. I can see Gigabyte's logo with the options and keys (Delete and F12), but pressing the keys does nothing. I have tried several ways to fully shutdown Windows, but nothing worked.
The only solution I found so far is to cut the power to the PC by pressing on the PSU Switch, off and on. Then I can access the BIOS during boot.

Is there any solution to to fully shutdown Windows 10 and be able to access the BIOS the next time I start the PC ? Without turning off/on the PSU.
Here is the link where there's a list of ways to shutdown Windows. nothing worked for me.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7418-shut-down-computer-windows-10-a.html

Solution
I have found a solution on YouTube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqW2-mTgbqI
How to Enter BIOS in windows 10 (8, 8.1) if UEFI option is missing in 'Advanced option'..

STEPS
- Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you click Restart The Computer
- During rebooting it will bring you to Advance Startup Screen, there hit the Troubleshoot option.
- Under troubleshoot, tap on Advanced options at the bottom part.
- Then click on Startup Settings.
- In the next screen. you see a group of 7 options and a "RESTART" button in the lower left of the screen. Click this "restart" button and immediately press several times the keyboard key you usually press for accessing the BIOS (F2, DELETE...ect).
- then you should be able to enter the BIOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Better still... go to settings/update & security/recovery
select advanced start up and click restart now
on restart, select troubleshoot
Select Advanced options
Select UEFI Firmware settings
This will take you into the bios

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016

Yes, I tried that, but I don't have UEFI firmware settings after clicking on "advanced options"...

Hello kitedili

Many laptop users with the same issue managed to resolve it by pulling out the battery and then powering the laptop on directly with the power adapter.

However, because you mentioned PSU, I assume you are on a desktop computer and the above solution is not applicable in your case.

You can still try clearing the CMOS of the motherboard as a workaround. To do so:

> Power off your computer.

> Disconnect it from the power supply.

> Open the system case's back panel.

> Pull out the CMOS battery. (The round shiny button-cell that looks similar to the ones used in wrist watches, but is bigger in size.)

> Leave the PC alone for 45-60 seconds.

> Connect the computer back to the power supply and try booting and entering the BIOS this time.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016

Yes, I did that also, and I could access the BIOS without any problem. I tried few times without login into windows and I could access the BIOS each time. But when I logged in Windows, and tried to reboot, the problem showed up again...

Hello again kitedili

In that case, you may want to try creating a new user account, try logging on with that account and then powering off the PC to check if the issue still persists.

Cheers!! :)

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016

OK, I created another user account, then fully shutdown, but couldn't access the BIOS either...

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016

Yes, earlier after switching off the psu, and accessing the BIOS, I verified and the "fast boot" option is disabled by default, I never turned it on. So it seems it's not the problem...

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
I have found a solution on YouTube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqW2-mTgbqI
How to Enter BIOS in windows 10 (8, 8.1) if UEFI option is missing in 'Advanced option'..

STEPS
- Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you click Restart The Computer
- During rebooting it will bring you to Advance Startup Screen, there hit the Troubleshoot option.
- Under troubleshoot, tap on Advanced options at the bottom part.
- Then click on Startup Settings.
- In the next screen. you see a group of 7 options and a "RESTART" button in the lower left of the screen. Click this "restart" button and immediately press several times the keyboard key you usually press for accessing the BIOS (F2, DELETE...ect).
- then you should be able to enter the BIOS.

Solution