6 Monitor set up - AMD FirePro W9100 vs AMD R9 Fury X with MST Hub? (Or others?)

macroBuild

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I'm trying to build a set up that will allow for 6 monitors to be displayed as 1 large display and am searching for the right graphics card to do this.

For AMD, it looks like my choices are either the FirePro w9100 (or w600), or something like an R9 Fury X (or Fury or 200 or 300 series card) with MST hub(s).

For Nvidia, it looks like the only reasonable option is 2 high enough Quadro cards.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Does anyone have any particular recommendations between the two AMD options (W9100 or R9 Fury X w/ MST hubs)? I.e. using MST hubs or not?

macroBuild

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
It's for a computer that isn't really used for gaming, but more for professional purposes (image and maybe video editing, etc) and entertainment (movies etc.).

Part of what I'm wondering is about people's experience using MST hubs for this sort of thing. Technically speaking, my sense is that both cards can theoretically be used for the tasks above. It's just that I'm not sure whether to trust the Fury X + MST hubs jimmy-rigged setup and whether it would be able to actually handle 6 24" or 30" displays at full resolution (thats 1920x1200 or 2560x1600, respectively, each), or whether not to risk it and to get the FirePro (which is way more expensive).

Thanks again for any advice!