High school Senior project question for moderators?

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Hi, I am a senior in high school and am currently doing a senior project, Would i be allowed to post a google forms link asking for people with Tech related jobs to fill out a survey so i can get some data for my project that i can present to my class on what it takes to get a tech job?

I love this forum and do not want to risk posting something not allowed.

Solution
actually.. we have a clear no homework policy and generally frown upon external surveys.
6. Ask for help on completing homework assignments. We are happy to help you learn something new, but we won’t do your work for you!

sorry, but i would say no. sometimes we are a bit relaxed on enforcing but those are the rules.

while true that there are occasionally exceptions the general rule is that such things are generally removed. generally homework that gets allowed are cases where almost all of the work is done and just a few things need to be clarified and as for surveys generally its on things we feel are beneficial to toms or its users and is generally a case by case basis.

generally no warning is issued if its a first time...

timmoseus

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
I personally do not mind. As far as posting on the main site? I am still kind of new to this one. You can message the survey to me if you want. I am the senior tech for a not-for-profit and have a Bachelors degree in computer sciences.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have seen such surveys posted in the forum before for the same type reasons you have. it is not against the rules but of course tom's can't guarantee the results you will get :)

i am not an admin but have been around a long time and know it is not against the rules. post a nice write up for the survey so we understand what you need and then link to the survey and you should be good.

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Alright, im still making it but it will be done in the next week or so

Just making sure i wouldn't get banned or in trouble, didn't want to waste a Moderators time closing the thread and sending a warning

Edit: When i do post it ill make a thread redirecting traffic to the new one

actually.. we have a clear no homework policy and generally frown upon external surveys.
6. Ask for help on completing homework assignments. We are happy to help you learn something new, but we won’t do your work for you!

sorry, but i would say no. sometimes we are a bit relaxed on enforcing but those are the rules.

while true that there are occasionally exceptions the general rule is that such things are generally removed. generally homework that gets allowed are cases where almost all of the work is done and just a few things need to be clarified and as for surveys generally its on things we feel are beneficial to toms or its users and is generally a case by case basis.

generally no warning is issued if its a first time offense and your post history looks clear and certainly no bans are put into affect without some serious abuse. we aren't tyrants you know.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for correcting me. i just remembered seeing a few here before and did not think of the homework policy :(

glad i brought it to mod's attention then. saved some grief for the op. sorry i gave some bad info earlier, it happens every now and then

the homework rule is not always enforced. in many cases it ends up being a decision from the mod who sees it. the survey rule is generally enforced with a few exceptions as we do not like directing traffic away from the site for personal reasons in most cases.

it was excellent of him to ask first and you're not quite wrong on your advice. its not one of those things thats always black or white but in the grey zone. we have both allowed and disallowed such posts.

in any case both are fairly low level items that do not cause us much grief though if we had too much of it then it might become a problem so we nip most of it in the bud.

The purpose of the no-homework rule is to discourage individuals from asking us to do their labwork for them. This most commonly comes in the form of "what is wrong with my program?" or "I have this question, what is the answer?".

I do not believe that the spirit of the rule is meant to preclude obtaining third party input when the purpose of the homework/assignment is to obtain third party input. It's not as if he'd be taking credit for work done by someone else.

Posts like this are quite common in the "Work and Education" forum section. I personally see no problem with it.