Unacceptable Warranty Policy

LutzM

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi guys, my first post here, although long time reader.
After one year using a G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-2666 Kit, one of the Modules stopped working. Ok, stuff happens, and as I bought it from Alternate.de, I ve contacted them for a Retour. Surprise! I have to send the whole Kit. Wait, what? I don t know if this is a common policy, but if it is, well, it is unacceptable. I have bought 4 pieces of Memory, they are not welded together, if one Module stops working, I ll send the faulty one but I m using the ones which are working.
It s not my fault that after only one year, one module decided that it s enough.
Problem is, even if I want to buy the single Module and replace it on my own cost, I can t find it anywhere! So, what should I do? I need my System on a daily basis, if I ll send the whole Kit to alternate, I must buy a new Kit so I can easily throw the GSKill garbage to the bin.
sorry for the flame, but this is too much. Not to mention that a Kit which I bought only one year ago for 484EUR not costs in the same place only 167,90EUR.
This corporation mockery of the customer must stop or we ll need a new WW to make things right. Rant over.

Solution
No not at all, they may not play together period. You can pull consecutive sticks right off the assembly line and they might play - they might not. I've gotten identical set before direct from the manufacturers that won't play at all, others I can get to play with timing/voltage adjustments. This is why sticks are tested together to make up a package of DRAM i.e. your 4 stick set for example they may have played with 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more sticks before getting a good 4 stick set.
You bought a kit because all modules match and they have consecutive serial numbers. If G.Skill replace only one module, then it may not work well with the other modules. Unfortunately you can't be sure the components will be the same; are you willing to take the risk?

LutzM

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Please correct if I'm wrong, the only compatibility risk here is that the 4 modules may not work in quadchannel, but they ll still continue to work.
Small update, fast reply from GSkill International, exactly the answer I was actually expecting from Alternate :

"Dear Customer,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

It is highly recommended to send in the complete memory kit for RMA service. This is because each kit is tested as a complete matching set for compatibility between the modules. If only part of the memory kit is replaced, the replacement modules will not be able to be tested for compatibility with your existing modules, so there may be a chance the replacement may have compatibility issues.

However, if you understand this risk and absolutely require your system to be operational, we understand the situation and will respect your decision if you choose to send in only part of the memory kit for replacement. If so, we will only replace the modules you send in.

Alternatively, you may follow the steps below to request RMA with us:...."

Of course I ll take that risk, as long as the replaced module has exactly the same specs, even if not tested with the other 3, I m pretty sure they ll gonna get along. I ll keep you uptodate, thanks for the replies.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No not at all, they may not play together period. You can pull consecutive sticks right off the assembly line and they might play - they might not. I've gotten identical set before direct from the manufacturers that won't play at all, others I can get to play with timing/voltage adjustments. This is why sticks are tested together to make up a package of DRAM i.e. your 4 stick set for example they may have played with 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more sticks before getting a good 4 stick set.

Solution

LutzM

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Oh, ok, thanks. Still, replacing only one is my only option at this moment, as I need my system running and I don t have the budget right now for a new kit/upgrade. See how it goes..

agreed, replacing all would be generally in your best interest to avoid possible problems as if you find out that its not compatible its on you to deal with it not gskill. of course if you're willing to take that risk entirely on your shoulders then go for it. we may or may not be able to get it running right for you.