System Thread Exception Not Handled

Coffee91

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Hello everyone!

After upgrading to Windows 10 last August, I've suddenly been having problems with it. Issues seemed to start after a Kaspersky update, which required a restart. Before the restart, everything was working great. Upon restarting, I was faced with a BSOD saying that the system thread exception not handled. This leads to windows restarting and a continuous loop of BSOD.

I've been looking around, and decided to boot from my windows 10 CD created when I upgraded. From here, I tried to Reset My PC.

Trying the "Keep My Files" option is stopped and tells me that the drive where Windows is installed is locked.

Trying the "Remove Everything" option tell me that a required drive partition is missing.

After trying all of this, I tried refreshing windows to a previous image....this worked!! Windows then updated and everything was fine....UNTIL Windows restarted again, showing me the BSOD loop, and back to square one...

Has anyone else had this issue? I could refresh to the previous image again, but then is there any way to prevent further issues?

Thank you for any input!

Coffee91

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

So I restored from my image again to get my computer working. This won't give me anything wrong on WhoCrashed though, because it's before the issue. Is there a way to run WhoCrashed without successfully booting? When in the bootloop, my computer can't get into safe mode or anything. I can use the command prompt, if that helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure, I know you can run it in safe mode. It might say more on their web site.

You can boot from win 10 cd and after language screen, select repair this pc, not install
then select troubleshoot
Select advanced options
start up settings
this has safe mode (3 versions of it, in fact) so in theory you can boot into that and then ruin whocrashed

if you restored image, try to update your drivers as bsod generally caused by drivers so you might eradicate the cause.

Coffee91

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
So that's the weird thing, I can't really do anything besides restore image...if I try to reset it says the drive is locked, I don't even have start up settings as an option (everything else is still there). Very frustrating.

I guess I will restore image and manually update all drivers! Thanks for your help :)

Coffee91

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Thank you SO much for all your help. So I went through all those steps, and it didn't seem like anything was happening. I tried using Startup Repair, and all of a sudden it did something! So now my computer is working fine, it can restart, boot up, etc...the only problem is startup repair formatted my hard drive (HDD, not with Windows on it).

So here's the follow up question. When trying to recover my files from my HDD, is there anything I should NOT recover? I'm going to try this (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1646729/free-software-recover-data-formatted-drive.html). I could restore the system image, but then that would presumably bring back my problem.