Installed Windoes 10 some months ago, PC froze. Try again?

idanperl

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Hey all,

I have a Acer Aspire S7 laptop, running Windows 8.1 at the moment.

About 8 months ago, I installed Windows 10, and after installing I encountered the following problem:
Every time the laptop would enter sleep mode, it would freeze and not wake up. I had to turn it off by brute force.

I searched online for a solution back then, and saw that other people encountered the same problem, and I didn't find a solution. I then decided to roll back to Windows 8.

I know that in the past year there were a lot of updates in Windows 10. Should I try installing again?

Thanks!

Solution
I'll say yes, it's a lot more stable, and many more programs, services, and applications work more seamlessly on 10. When it first came out I can't think of any of my installed programs which didn't have issues.

As for your particular issue I'm pretty sure this has been fixed. I had a similar issue and I played with power settings and it worked. When I had the issue, I followed the steps here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/computer-wont-wake-from-sleep-mode-windows-10/91bda12c-9fbb-4e98-9113-7f7b83e2a095?auth=1

I'll say this though, if you do decide to try Win 10 again make sure you have a solid backup solution in place. Get a disk imager like Macrium Reflect Free to back up your Windows 8 computer...
Hi,

Yes you can proceed in installing Windows 10 then once it's installed do change some Power Option settings that should prevent those problems from happening again.

Here's the steps that you'll need to do after installing Windows 10.
- Open Power Options then click on Change Plan Settings then Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Expand Hard Disk then set Turn off Hard disk after to NEVER.
- Expand Sleep and set Allow hyrbid sleep to OFF.
- Set Hibernate after to NEVER.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I'll say yes, it's a lot more stable, and many more programs, services, and applications work more seamlessly on 10. When it first came out I can't think of any of my installed programs which didn't have issues.

As for your particular issue I'm pretty sure this has been fixed. I had a similar issue and I played with power settings and it worked. When I had the issue, I followed the steps here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/computer-wont-wake-from-sleep-mode-windows-10/91bda12c-9fbb-4e98-9113-7f7b83e2a095?auth=1

I'll say this though, if you do decide to try Win 10 again make sure you have a solid backup solution in place. Get a disk imager like Macrium Reflect Free to back up your Windows 8 computer, and when you install Win 10 install a snapshot tool like Rollback rx and make sure you're taking snapshots before you install anything. If you do this you should be fine whether you have issues or not.

Good Luck!

Solution