difference Western Digital retail kit vs OEM?

Liam m

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Hi

I wanted to know what the difference is between a retail kit hdd (comes with box) and a OEM/bulk hdd (comes in plastic).
More in particular between the wd blue 2tb retail kit and OEM...
Is there, besides that the OEM version doesn't come with SATA cable and the retail kit being in a box, an other difference in these versions?
I can't seem to find what's in the boxed version... (accessoires and that kind of things)

Thanks in advance!

Liam m

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Is there also no sata cable in the boxed version, and warranty is same?

Edit: and would you pay then 7€ more for the retail kit version? or does it really not matter which version you have?
and sorry for the (maybe obvious) questions, but I'm building my first pc and it's really difficult to choose components in my opinion, because you have like 98651 versions from the same components... A lot of choises...

Hey there, Liam!

I'd recommend you refer to our knowledge base for more details on The Difference between WD OEM vs. Retail (RTL) drives. However, some online resellers refer to bare drives as OEM, but these bare HDDs should still be covered by our company's warranty policy.
Either way, we always recommend you check your warranty status on our website, once the new WD product is shipped to you.

P.S. Don't forget to keep multiple backups of your data in different locations so that you prevent any potential data loss.

Hope this was helpful. Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Liam m

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Hi!
thanks for you answer, nice to have someone from WD here :)
The reason I asked is because I bought a HDD, and while I was thinking it would be a retail kit drive, it turned out it was an OEM drive so I was thinking of returning it and buying a retail kit elsewhere..
But now I kept this drive...
I checked warranty on the site of WD (without registering it), and it says warranty till 30-12-17, but I bought it one week ago so this is not a 2 year warranty period..
The webshop said that I have 2 year warranty on tis product. So, is it full 2 years like the webshop says or just till 30-12-17? Maybe I need to register the product and then the warranty period changes accordingly to my purchase date?

And yes, I have to create indeed multiple copies of important files... Unfortunately I recently lost a lot of stuff due to a crashed hdd... Windows doesn't recognise it anymore... Weirdly enough Ubuntu does, but there are a lot of files gone sadly, and a lot of files are stuck on the drive because I can't copy them..

Hello again, Liam!

I'd advise you to read through our warranty policy for more details on this.
Overall, The term of your limited warranty period shall commence on the purchase date appearing on your purchase receipt from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller and extends only for the period of time set forth in the Product documentation.

Proof of purchase shall be required to be eligible for this warranty and to establish the commencement date of this warranty. To verify the warranty of your Product and update your purchase date (if required), please use our online Warranty Status Check service.

For further assistance, I'd strongly recommend you to get in touch with our Customer Support. They will surely explain it better and answer any questions you may have regarding the warranty.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Liam m

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016

Hi
Thanks a lot, this answer answered all my questions!
Have a good weekend :)
Liam