Asus PG279Q - Good Upgrade or Other monitor

Gamerboy999

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
So i currently have a Acer V276HL and im bored of it and want a new monitor to fully utilise my set-up, i was looking at the Asus PG279Q as it has a 165Hz refresh rate and a good resolution etc. i have a 980ti so i get 100 + fps in all games so i think a monitor with more than 60Hz would be a nice addition to my set-up. i think i should also add im not happy unless i have at least 60 + fps all the time as i hate lag so maybe getting a 4k monitor would not be the best option and getting am monitor with a high refresh rate and a lower resolution would be the best option.

Besides my question is, is this a good monitor? i've seen some really good reviews however is there a monitor thats on par with it at a cheaper price.

Solution
Acer offers a monitor that is practically identical, without the 165Hz overclocking. Both have a new generation G-sync module that also offers a non-Gsync HDMI port, so you can plug something else into it.

I do not recommend using the 165Hz setting, it increases input lag and the anti-blur stuff becomes less effective. It makes a great 144Hz panel.

The older PG278Q is a TN panel that is now roughly $200 cheaper, same resolution and performance with g-sync. But the colors and viewing angles aren't as nice. Better response times though (on paper anyway) Measured values from the PG279Q are very very good for almost any class of monitor.

Some early production issues (like mine) seem to have been solved with a better quality control...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Acer offers a monitor that is practically identical, without the 165Hz overclocking. Both have a new generation G-sync module that also offers a non-Gsync HDMI port, so you can plug something else into it.

I do not recommend using the 165Hz setting, it increases input lag and the anti-blur stuff becomes less effective. It makes a great 144Hz panel.

The older PG278Q is a TN panel that is now roughly $200 cheaper, same resolution and performance with g-sync. But the colors and viewing angles aren't as nice. Better response times though (on paper anyway) Measured values from the PG279Q are very very good for almost any class of monitor.

Some early production issues (like mine) seem to have been solved with a better quality control process. ASUS has offered cross shipped replacement, but I don't see the defect as being serious enough to get a refurbished model (and taking on full liability for the monitor that I would have to ship back)

Solution

Gamerboy999

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

Thanks for the reply, between IPS and TN, TN is out of the picture as i dont like its pink shift of colour and washed out greys. And thanks for the advice on the 165Hz being no better than 144Hz.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just an overclocking mode. It is not actually a 165hz panel, it is rated at 144hz. The IPS ROG Swift and the two equivalents from Acer all use two generations of the same AU Optronics panel. Technically AHVA and not IPS/PLS, just a different way to do it that allows for faster switching.

I prefer the general design of the ASUS monitor myself. Not as much flashy red as the Acer.

There are also some 3440x1440 75Hz displays you can look into. Though I think that is pushing what a GTX980ti can do.