Certain Programs Freezing and OS Shuts down but Hardware does not

Zel9

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I am not 100% sure if both of these issues correlate with each other or if this 100% has to due with Windows 10. But recently, when I attempt to shut down my computer, the OS shuts down and my monitor goes blank saying there is no signal. However, my actual desktop does not do so. Everything on my motherboard seemed to remain on. To shut it down I have to force shut it down.

Shortly after a few of these occurrences, certain programs would sometimes freeze after a certain amount of time using my computer. In other words, they don't always stop working and it's not immediately after starting my computer. For example, Google Chrome would load and run properly but if I load any embedded flash applications inside of Chrome they would freeze and cause Chrome to crash. Another example would be programs like Itunes. Sometimes it would work just fine but others if I tried selecting a song, it would also freeze and crash. Usually after I restart the computer, everything works again for a random period of time before things start crashing again (sometimes it doesn't crash at all after). I am still able to use my computer perfectly fine for applications that don't/didn't crash prior.

I've done some research and thought it was due to Windows 10's Instant boot feature. However, this seems to not be listed in my power settings when I navigate to it. I only have Sleep and Lock in my options when I navigate to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings.

I'm also afraid to conclude that my SSD (Samsung evo 850) if failing. But don't want to think so and not sure if it's likely because it is fairly new (bought around 10 months ago). There is a firmware update I found for my SSD but I have not tried updating yet. My ssd ran fine prior to my Windows 10 update (previously on Windows 7). Also I'm not sure if the OS shutting down and me having to force shut down my computer caused this issue or not.

Additionally, my windows is fully up to date and there are no missing drivers according to device manager.

Here are my desktop's specs:
SSD: Samsung EVO 850
HDD: WD 1TB (Can't remember the model and Amazon is freezing when I try to access it at the moment, I can find / post if needed)
Motherboard: ASRock z68 extreme3 gen 3
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (16 gb total)
CPU: Intel i5 2500k (overclocked)
GPU: Msi GTX 970 (overclocked)
PSU: Corsair TX 750

Thank you for reading my long post and sorry in advance if I posted in the wrong section.

There are several things I'd do. First look at Device Manager and make sure none of the devices have ! or ? next to them, meaning you need a driver. Next I'd open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow . That will run 15 - 20 minutes and attempt to find & correct any corrupt system files. Third, I'd download MalwareBytes, get it up to date, and do a scan. The scan will take another 15 - 20 minutes or more depending on how much you have on your C: drive.

Good luck.

Zel9

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

I don't have any missing drivers. I tried the sfc /scannow and no integrity violations found. Nothing found on malwarebytes either.

Zel9

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Turns out my secondary hard drive was beginning to fail. I unplugged it and everything seemed to work fine again so I decided to scan it and see what was up.

Thanks for the help though guys.