Black screen after installing drivers

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Hi, I've had this problem for a long time now. When I use my R9 270x with the basic windows drivers, it works fine. But when I try to download any drivers for it, the screen immediately goes black. Why is this happening and how do I fix this ???

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks

Solution
Also, did you install Windows 10 as a clean install, or did you install Windows 7 again and THEN upgrade it to 10, on THIS occasion? I know you said you were having troubles with it, so just wondering. And are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows and are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of the drivers?

What is your PSU model and how old is it? iGPU uses a lot less power than a discreet card, so if there are any capacity or regulation issues with a cheap or an older PSU, it may run fine on the iGPU but once windows loads the GPU card drivers and higher power demand kicks in, it won't work.

More likely though is that it's a driver issue. It might be advisable to try the following.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Are you on an upgrade of windows 10, or have you done a clean install. Either way, a clean install is probably the best option for now. If that doesn't cure the problem then there is probably a bad PSU or GPU card. Hard to know though without eliminating certain things first and Windows corruption and driver issues need to be eliminated as potential problems. Out of curiosity, has the 270x EVER worked right, or have you had this problem the entire time since installing it?

How to do a CLEAN install of windows 10:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

The CLEAN part being key. Don't just reinstall. Do a clean install. Disconnect all connected drives EXCEPT the drive you'll be installing windows on. Then during the installation, delete ALL the existing partitions on that drive and install to the unallocated space. Windows will create the necessary partitions and perform and needed formatting.

Other drives need to be disconnected because it's very common for there to be hidden boot partitions on other drives that may have had windows on them previously or been connected to the system during previous installations. To eliminate the possibility of the new installation trying to use an unrelated boot partition, which will somewhat work sometimes, but does nothing but cause problems, and to avoid the possibility of deleting partitions on drives that you did not intend to delete partitions from during the clean install, it's best that they are disconnected until after the installation is complete.

I'm uploading a copy of the windows 10 ISO for you to download. No need to use the media creation tool. Just burn the ISO to disk and boot to the installer. I'll let you know when it's done uploading. My domain has a fairly slow upload speed so it will probably be about an hour or so. Much better option than using Windows 7. Windows 7, in my opinion, sucks buttocks compared to 10 when it comes to hardware support. Other issues it may have, like Cortana and privacy, aside, I've used every operating system microsoft has ever released and Windows 10 has the best seamless support and is the most stable IMO.

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Okay so ive found the issue. Its none other than the drivers. Wtf. The card works fine when i reinstalled it with my fresh win10 but windows seems to be isntalling drivers automatically. So because of that the dispkay just goes black right after drivers are installed. How do I know theyre installed ? I did a system restore and the only files affected was catalyst and some C++ redist.

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Okay so ive disbaled the auto driver thing but still black screen. When winndows boots the screen res isnt at its native 1080p, it gets blurred to the 1024. After like 1 min i hear a disconnect and connect windows sound effect thing and then black screen.

Ughhhh is there really sth weong eith my R9 270x ?? How did it bust so quickly

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
I suspect it might just be a virus tho :s I wanted to transfer my music from my iphone to my newly installed ituned on the fresh new PC , so I searched online and found this wondershare app. It didn't looked malicious or evil so i tried it. But now even though i uninstalled it from cobtrol panel, a small fragment still remains in my pc , and the worst part is, I checked msconfig and it always starts when pc boots. I cant even disable it cuz it apparently is in use or sth. Ong tome to re install again xP I'll update u again tmr

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Okay ive reinstalled windows again, this time with my R9 270x plugged in. The AMD driver really is the issue...ive read many other forums online and a lot of people seem to be facing the same issue.

Any ideas ? Ive tried installing the latest drivers strsight from the AMD site but downloading the drivers still give me black screen

You are NOT installing the AMD drivers. You are installing the Sapphire drivers, unless that's somebody else's video. If you follow the tutorial EXACTLY as outlined, you will find that it's an entirely different process and does not even use the same or even a similar installer. For the 270x, you should be using the Crimson driver package anyhow I believe.

Try it with using the drivers directly from the AMD website, AND be SURE to run the DDU before you install them, as even after one botched driver installation or one occasion of Windows having changed the drivers, there can be unresolvable problems.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Also, did you install Windows 10 as a clean install, or did you install Windows 7 again and THEN upgrade it to 10, on THIS occasion? I know you said you were having troubles with it, so just wondering. And are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows and are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of the drivers?

Solution

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
once again, thank you so much for helping me. I did reinstall windows 10 64bit from scratch. No upgrade. and yes, I did install the latest 64bit driver from AMD website. that video isn't mine. I emailed AMD and they asked me to update BIOS so I'll give it a try....

TRENDING THREADS