Isn't Windows 8.1 still the best alternative to Windows 10?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I mean, if you like the store, if you use it frequently and you like at least some of the apps, Windows 8.1 is a lot more stable than Windows 10 right now. It's more established.

So, right now, isn't Win 8.1 the best OS to have? Or at least better than Windows 10? If anything because of its better stability and no mandatory self-updating?

Solution
That... no. While 8.1 wasn't the blight of computers that many made it out to be, 10 is heads and shoulders better than 8.1. With very few exceptions the updating isn't an issue, people just get their collective panties in a bunch because they cant control every aspect of it. Which frankly is a good thing, the number of un-patched and un-updated machines out there creates real problems. The only issue I've seen in personal and professional use of it is legacy program support, and that's an issue with every new release of an OS.

Who the hell said that load of crap? Win 10 is perfectly stable, no worse than 8.1.

As for self-updating, you would be stupid to not update a machine. It's the single most effective method of preventing malware related issues.

That... no. While 8.1 wasn't the blight of computers that many made it out to be, 10 is heads and shoulders better than 8.1. With very few exceptions the updating isn't an issue, people just get their collective panties in a bunch because they cant control every aspect of it. Which frankly is a good thing, the number of un-patched and un-updated machines out there creates real problems. The only issue I've seen in personal and professional use of it is legacy program support, and that's an issue with every new release of an OS.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Many of the items on the Win 10 store are from the Win 8 store, when I first looked just after launch almost all the programs referred to Win 8.

So I can't see how the stores can be any different. Lots of scare tactics out there warning people about the new thing... I thought that would have died down by now.

10 has been stable for me. I've been using it since 10/1/2014 when I joined the Insider program. 8.1 is OK if you have it with Classic Shell or Start8 - it's supported until 2023, but I don't have problems with any version form 7 to 8.1 to 10. If what you have is doing the job for you remember "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".