Odd issue one after another, each gradually getting worse.

epicurusepicurus

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
My wife has one of these All in one PC and I've been encountering some odd issues one after another with it lately.

My problem initially began when the computer started freezing about 10-20 minutes into a video file. Didn't matter which media player or media file I used, the entire computer crashes and wouldn't respond to any mouse commands (except movements) nor ctrl+alt+delete. Only way to recover was force a shutdown by holding the ON button. I ended up reformatting and while it fixed this particular issue, it wasn’t long before a new series of issues arose.

My computer then started to crash every time I clicked play on a Netflix video on Chrome. The crash symptoms were similar to my initial issue but the computer can now play media files without a problem. I worked around this by using Microsoft Edge as my browser to load Netflix and things were swell for a while.

However, in just a few weeks, Microsoft Edge started crashing like Chrome in the same fashion. Only difference was that it actually spit out a Netflix error code if given enough time but still displayed similar crash symptoms like above.

Most crazy thing however is that now my computer freezes just by simply opening Chrome! Tried opening it in incognito mode as well but no avail.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? I’m not exactly new to computers but I’ve never had an issue like this before.

Solution

epicurusepicurus

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016

Will try the commands and update drivers tomorrow, thanks.

The computer is a prebuilt touchscreen Samsung desktop: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DP700A3D-A01US-23-Inch-Touchscreen-Desktop/dp/B0098NTF8S

My wife bought this laptop/desktop hybrid and it manages to feature the worst of both worlds. Its compact size comes at the cost of a lot of performance loss and upgrade capability, yet it has around the same mobility of a standard desktop.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

epicurusepicurus

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
Thanks again for finding those links. I've been told Windows 10 was pretty good at installing necessary drivers on its own so I just assumed I had the most optimal drivers.

No BSOD, whichever program that is freezing(Chrome, Microsoft Edge) turns entirely white with (Not Responding) on the top header. I can still move my mouse cursor around but doesn't respond to any mouse clicks or any of my ctrl-alt-delete mashing on the keyboard. So only way to reset is by holding down the ON button for a few seconds.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Until you try the two commands I linked above, and update drivers, its no point me looking for other fixes. No rush, I can wait :)

Is it entire desktop that stops responding or just the browsers as you can right click task bar and open task manager and right click the name of the program and just close it. No need to restart PC unless its all stops responding.