Windows 10 upgrade from Win7 OEM - "Keep Personal Files Only" will reset Product Key?

hardadsl

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Greetings,
I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 SP 1 to Windows 10 on my Laptop. There is a particular useless software that can't be uninstalled during the process, and it leads to upgrade fail.
Now I'm trying to upgrade with a USB stick with a Win10 Image. I still can't do it if I choose to "Keep personal files and apps", once the useless software is still in the way. But if I choose "Keep Personal Files Only", the installer tells me I'm all set for the upgrade.
By choosing "Keep Personal Files Only" option, will I have to enter a Product Key? My Win7 OEM is legal and activated, but if I lose its hidden licence, I won't be able to get the free upgrade to Win10.
Thanks!

Solution
The only time you have to enter a product key is if your doing a clean install from Windows 7 ISO or if you don't qualify for the free upgrade and have to install the full blown Windows 10. When you upgrade Windows 7 or 8.1 the first thing it doesn't is determin if you Windows 7 or 8.1 is authentic but the key. Then it activates Windows 10 using what's called digital entitlement. It basically once the OS your upgraded is deemed authentic it creates a has code based on you hardware and stores it on MS's servers. So technically there is no Windows 10 key if you upgrade.

hardadsl

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016

It is a software called "Samsung Recovery 5". The upgrade manager can't unistall it. I already wiped it with REVO, but the manager still thinks he's there.

If no other way, I'd be comfortable to choose "Keep personal files only", as the installers says I'm all set to succeed when choosing such option. My fear is that by choosing this I will have to type a Product Key, which I don't have!

ScaZeD

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

You shouldn't have to type a product key if you choose to keep your personal files, I'm not sure how much stuff you have on your computer or what kind of stuff, but if it's not a lot I'd just put those files on my USB and wipe everything. And to be honest with you, I wouldn't even upgrade. I feel that windows 7 is superior to both 10 and 8, but that is just my personal preference, upgrade if you like 10 better.

hardadsl

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Thanks JediTT and ScaZeD!
JediTT, this Samsung Recovery 5 was nothing but a source of headache to me. It creates a primary partition of 21GB and ultimately this partition seemed to be the cause of the problem. Uninstaling the software would not help, but deleting its partition did the trick. That was the solution to not being able to upgrade keeping both the apps and personal files. Now, I have Windows 10 working (I kept my personal files and apps).
ScaZeD, I hear you about Win7. I'm a personal fan of it... I'm biased in favor of it... I have a EaseTodo US backup of Win7 just before the upgrade, and I believe Win10 allows me to downgrade to it during 30 days. I won't hesitate returning to the wonderful Win7 should Win10 give me any trouble.
Thanks Again!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
The only time you have to enter a product key is if your doing a clean install from Windows 7 ISO or if you don't qualify for the free upgrade and have to install the full blown Windows 10. When you upgrade Windows 7 or 8.1 the first thing it doesn't is determin if you Windows 7 or 8.1 is authentic but the key. Then it activates Windows 10 using what's called digital entitlement. It basically once the OS your upgraded is deemed authentic it creates a has code based on you hardware and stores it on MS's servers. So technically there is no Windows 10 key if you upgrade.

Solution