HTC vive benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyhefc69

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
So iv got my htc vive ordered and awaiting delivery, iv been trying to get my system ready.

My specs

R9 290X
i7 4790

Problem is, when i ran the steam vr test i scored 6.1 which is in the low end of the green (vr ready) so i installed the latest amd drivers and i got a boost to 7.4 which is much better. But then after afew hours of playing some games ect i ran the test again and scored 6.1 again? Why is my score better straight after installing new drivers, but then drop

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Similar to my card, your card is at the lower end of the required specs, but the way Nvidia did it's card boost, versus AMD might be the tell. AMD said, "THIS card runs at this speed, unless it's too hot and will downclock." Nvidia said, "we guarantee that our card runs at this speed, and if it has thermal room, it can boost." I don't want to make this a green v red, ( I really want a Nano, at a better price) but I think a bit of advertising deception might have caused your current confusion.

Basically: AMD runs Max clock, and drops when too hot, Nvidia runs (like an Intel CPU) at a set 'safe' clock, and overclocks when it can.

dannyhefc69

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
So you think its my gpu throttling due to heat

Thing is, i have the tri x oc edition. It runs at 60-70c underfull load with fans set to auto. I'll run the test again and manually set the gpu fans to 100%

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
No, well not if you just run the test. The key part of your comment was your test was low...too low, after you were gaming. So you need to stress your card and then run the test. If you run it at full-fan, that's totally legitimate. But don't cold run, with full-fan, and say, "See this?"

Run Unigine Valley (free download) on Extreme Preset, then segway into the VR test
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2208/unigine-valley-benchmark-1-0/mirrors

dannyhefc69

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
that was it, it was just overheating. Cant believe i missed something so simple ha. Manually set fans to 45% and now im hitting 8.3 on the vr score. Ran it numerous times and rebooted twice just to be sure, soild score every time. Thanks a million

Status
Not open for further replies.