[SOLVED] Windows 10 strange stuttering issue

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hello, so before posting this, I did a google search of "windows 10 stuttering, toms hardware" and read about 7 different posts, none helped and none were the EXACT issue I was facing.

Basically what happens is, when I boot up windows, everything works great for about 1 hour (sometimes even longer) but after that, i'm getting stuttering.

For example, if im playing music and open a web browser (doesnt matter which browser) the audio, and my mouse stutter. The audio sounds like its being play super slow and kind of robotic.

I'm using an HDMI cable from the GTX 960 so I've disabled the on board audio but still no help.

What I find very strange is that it doesnt happen at least 1 hour in after I boot up windows. Which is causing me to restart my computer after a few hours of unbearable usage.

This is my setup

System:Windows 10
Motherboard: Asus p8z77v-lx
Ram: 8 gigs corsair vengeance
Hdd: Samsung 1tb
cpu: intel pentium 15 3570k 3.20ghz
psu: thermaltake trs 750w
gpu: Nvidia GTX 960 4g OC edition

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

Installed the latest drivers?

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

yup, I've been going at this for about 5 days so all the basic things I need to try, I have.

MitchMuiz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014

I don't see anything on other forums that you could try. Maybe pickup a new SSD & install Windows on that?

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah to tell you the truth I was thinking of picking up a new hard drive. I just kind of boggles my mind that the problem doesn't happen until 1 hour after I turn on my pc.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Thanks for that program. I tried it and got this
"your system appears to be suitable for handling real time audio and other tasks without dropouts

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

I still have it running, it seems to be a real time analysis. If anything changes i'll post it.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Im getting another message now, however, my computer hasnt started stuttering just yet

Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in control panel and bios setup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Turning off CPU throttling will basically set pc to run at 100% speed all time, instead of reducing its clock speed when it is idle or not under heavy load. I don't think throttling is the cause as its a function built into the hardware - its a power saving technique.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2324591/cpu-throttling-questions.html

Have a look at the report it can produce (this shows how: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_using) and see if it shows what is causing the latency. I have seen screens where it can show the top things responsible and if we can work out what drivers are to blame, we can avoid changing your power settings.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

So I changed the power settings to high, its been 4 hours and the stuttering has completely stopped and latencymon says There is no proble, However, latencymon is still going to red

Heres a screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/trv38rE.png

*UPDATE* I am now getting the same error I was before, but still no stuttering

Colif

Win 11 Master
what error? the strange voices? thats an audio driver error

When was last time you updated the sound drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17056/ should match whats on your motherboard.

But then you use HDMI, don't you... that is through your gpu, have you updated those recently?

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Strange voices? never heard of that. I'm getting this error again, however no stuttering.
"Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in control panel and bios setup. "

Everything on my computer is updated, that was the first step I made sure I took

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry, i thought you meant the slow noise from original post..i think there is a stop test button. If it appears to have fixed the problem, just stop it from running.

you are getting a ton of hard page faults, I was trying to see what to do in the monitor to see what was the cause. that link I posted for latencymon using, it explains how to see what is causing them. Its mostly for musicians but it can be used by us to see what is slowing your system. One of their proposed fixes is something i wouldn't do - they suggest not having a page file but windows won't like that very much.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah ever since I put the performance to high, the slow noises problem stopped. What exactly is a hard page fault?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was trying to find an explanation that didn't require an it degree to understand... as I don't know myself

http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2015/04/10/understanding-page-faults-and-memory-swap-in-outs-when-should-you-worry

hmm, thats linux. I should have read it first

basically, a page fault happens when the CPU has to get the data off the hard drive or ssd instead of ram. Which seems odd when you have 8gb, win 10 should have enough space to put everything you need in ram

http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-pagefault.html

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/52249.aspx

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Thanks for all your help, its appreciated. I'm going to read this and see what I can come up with. If anyone has more insight feel free to comment. Thanks

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Forgot to ask, is it safe to keep my performance at high?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it should be, just realise its running at max speed and that includes the turbo boost speed. I had mine set at it due to a performance setting set by my SSD, and that was 3.85ghz all the time. I slowed it down just in time for summer.

Can you remember what the setting was before you changed it as you might be able to reduce it a little and still avoid that lag.

Page faults are badly named functions, all it means is the CPU has to access some data that is on hdd, not in ram. If you had an SSD, it would probably reduce their impact.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah it was set to basic performance before, when I was experiencing the issue.
Why i that data on my HDD instead of my ram? my hdd is one of those fat ones its about 7 years old, could that be the problem? just a faulty HDD?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't sound faulty, its lasted 7 years, its just not as fast as ram :)

Win 10 puts the things you use the most in ram but doesn't put everything in there, so when something requests a program or a file it has to go to the hdd. Win 10 learns your behaviour and tries to make everything smooth by loading everything you use every day into ram.

An ssd would speed up the transfer and maybe reduce the stutters as the CPU can only go so fast and its being held back waiting for data off the hard drive,

I wouldn't replace hdd, you need storage, but an ssd is a great boot drive as its almost as fast as ram when it comes to response times.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

I''ve had windows xp, vista and windows 7 and have never experienced this issue. Any idea why its such a problem in windows 10?