Can I use any 4k tv as a desktop monitor replacement?

Al_10_

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I am hoping to buy a 50" and use it to have at least 6 browsers/windows open at once (2 rows of 3 in a row). Do I need chroma 4:4:4? Will text be blurry without 4:4:4? Won't be used for gaming.

Solution
1) Doable, a TV is just a monitor with a tuner after all
2) You WILL need 4:4:4 to get best video quality
3) You should NOT use xvYCC or YCbCr anyway, just use RGB unless you have a specific application need
4) Make sure your TV supports a no-overscan mode or else your text will be blurry and cropped
1) Doable, a TV is just a monitor with a tuner after all
2) You WILL need 4:4:4 to get best video quality
3) You should NOT use xvYCC or YCbCr anyway, just use RGB unless you have a specific application need
4) Make sure your TV supports a no-overscan mode or else your text will be blurry and cropped

Solution

Al_10_

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Thank you...I know its do-able as I have used tv's as monitors before. Just wondering if I can use a 50" as a cheaper way to have effectively 6 monitors without it being annoying.

Al_10_

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Thanks! do I need 60hz for lite usage? I trade stocks and will have 2 quote screens and a bunch of windows open for other stuff...not hard core, fast action like gamers. I just bought a new i5 6th gen with 8gb ram to power it. I could use 2 ultra widescreen monitors but was hoping this might be a better solution

I expect that 30Hz will be fine for your application, but you will probably still want 4:4:4 - chroma subsampling looks OK for images, but it really shows up when viewing text.

lite or heavy , it really depends on the gpu and tv inputs you (will)have

https://developer.nvidia.com/4k-ultra-high-resolution-development

The current HDMI 1.4 standard only has bandwidth for 4K at 30hz. HDMI 2.0 will add support for 4K at 60Hz. Details should become clearer in late 2013. There are a few TVs on sale today that support 4K @ 30Hz through HDMI.

make sure your hardware is capable first. i wouldnt suggest buing a 4k tv nowadays, if your gpu doesnt have dp at least.! you can convert dp to hdmi 2.0 there are adapters

No. You can have it with the same pixel size as 6 monitors, but it will act as a single monitor. If you really need 6 monitors, you can get 6 22" 1080p screens for less than the price of a 4K tv

Al_10_

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Thanks...this option will be cheaper and take up less space. I can buy an inexpensive 50+ 4k for $450...much cheaper and smaller footprint than 6 $100 monitors!