Upgrading from Vista to 10

i_hate_alienware

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
So I have a bootable usb for Win10 (I used Rufus) and tried installing onto my Vista machine. After about 2 minutes it said that I need to restart my pc and insert my boot disk again and continue installation, but it gives me an error message "Windows cannot be installed from the current operating system" etc etc. What should I do?

Solution

There is no direct upgrade path from Vista to Win 10.

Assuming you have purchased Win 10, boot from that and install. Wiping out whatever is on the drive.

i_hate_alienware

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Yes, I booted from my drive which had the Windows 10 iso burned on it and it said that I'd need to reinstall my pc to continue, by plugging in my drive after. I did this and it told me that I can't start the setup from the current operating system. Is there anything I can do? I want this pc to be current but if it won't install, I'm considering installing Win7 or 8 and then starting the setup from the drive again. What do you think?

USAFRet

Titan

There is no direct upgrade path from Vista to Win 10.

Assuming you have purchased Win 10, boot from that and install. Wiping out whatever is on the drive.

Solution

i_hate_alienware

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Thank you. Never thought to do a clean install, backing up my files now.

What? Lame MS. Well didn't know this. Now I do, but then again any Vista machine we had, had XP reinstalled on it XD