How do I upgrade to windows 10 from 8.1 if my remaining free disc space is only 3GB

Millar14

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Hi so my mum has a netbook laptop with a 32 gb eMMC hard drive. A lot of this is taken up by the operating system windows 8.1 and other windows files like updates. After ruthlessly removing anything non essential files and programs from the drive and even disabling hibernation (which is advanced for me) I'm still at a point that I have only 3gb of free space. When I try and upgrade to windows 10 it says I need 5 gb of free space (not sure if that means an additional 5 or 5 total, either way impossible after deleting all I possibly could it seems). So Im wondering if this process is even possible in my circumstances? I have a 16GB jump drive, could this be utilised?

Thanks all that can help.

David

Solution

Yes, a current Win 10 install is smaller than an 8.1 install, which is smaller than a Win 7 install.
Why? Win 10 does not have 3 or 6 years worth of updates.

USAFRet

Titan

I have a system with a similar drive, a Asus Trasformer.

Unfortunately, you can't. It needs that space. You will need to do a clean install, from a USB device you create with the MS MediaCreation tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Don't do a clean install until the upgrade because it will not accept the product key, clicking the pop up box to install as an upgrade is what will register your laptop and after this it is safe to clean install by formatting the drive and using an iso DVD or flash drive.

USAFRet

Titan

With the version released in November, version 1511 build 10586, you can do a clean install with your original license key.

Millar14

Honorable
May 10, 2013
The reason that I would like to upgrade to windows 10 (apart from the fact I think it's more straightforward for my mum to operate) is that it appears that the OS takes up less space than the "8.1 with Bing" OS currently installed. So, I think I would have at least double the free space left if I got windows 10 running on the machine, which is obviously desirable as this would not run into problems with no space left on the machine again and it running like a snail.

Win 10 is smaller than a default 8.1, but still larger than a WIMBOOT 8.1 install.

As long as you use the 32bit version you should be able to just install 10 using a clean install .

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, a current Win 10 install is smaller than an 8.1 install, which is smaller than a Win 7 install.
Why? Win 10 does not have 3 or 6 years worth of updates.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

My Asus Transformer has one. I should have bought the 64GB, but this one does what I need it to do.

:lol:

No... The main reasons have to do with drivers and recovery. Win before 8 had something like 800mb in printer drivers alone that they reduced down to 200 (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn448534.aspx). Win 10 further reduced it and then removed the recovery partitions (and compressed cabinet files more)

USAFRet

Titan

A clean install, after all existing updates:
Win 7 Home - ~40-45GB
Win 8.1 Pro - ~35GB
Win 10 - ~25GB

That's not all 'drivers'.

USAFRet

Titan

Then please explain how it works just fine on my 32GB Asus Transformer?
Yes, hibernation is OFF, and the pagefile turned down from the default. But that is also including a GB or so of applications.

Millar14

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Good point I can appreciate that. So, in a way I would be getting 3-6 years longer life out of the machine if I were to get win10 on it.... in a way lol.

What about downloading the windows media creation tool and making USB installation media, extracting the product license from my win8.1 machine and booting from USB. Could something along those lines work? I get that 8.1 key probably isn't sufficient for entering into Windows 10 for the clean install but I'm just spitballing.

Thanks everyone. I'm very new to PCs so i'm trying to learn. Trust me I've been doing my own reading and stuff too I just really appreciate the expert support from the community.