How does DDR3 memory work? + I'm thinking of upgrading some hardware // Questions

ip0wnn00bs

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I have been thinking of upgrading my memory as I feel it may not be sufficient as games are becoming more demanding. I have two 4GB Gskill ripjaw memory sticks (and I'm thinking they may be failing on me due to Bsods).

I was thinking of getting these Gskill Ripjaw 8gb on Newegg. My main concern is whether or not I should get the two or an additional 8GB stick and install that as they are DDR3 and I think I read somewhere it's better to have three sticks than two because it's faster. I'm not really sure if these are memory sticks worth getting for my gaming PC or not. These are some things where I would like some clarification on. XD

Also, My motherboard is a Gigabyte z77x UD3H. It can support up to 32GB of memory and has 4 slots. I'm not entirely sure of its exact specifications so if anyone could tell me if the board can actually handle all of this memory I'd appreciate it.

Here's a list of my specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte z77x UD3H.
Memory: 2x 4GB Gskill Ripjaws-X 1600MHZ.
SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 SATA III.
HDD: 1TB SATA III 7200 3.5".
Wi-Fi Adapter: Gigabyte PCI-E 802.11.
GPU: Radeon HD7970 3GB PCIE.
CPU: Intel 3570k (Safe OC via mobo to 4.2Ghz)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX V2.
Cooling Unit: Corsair Hydro Series H60 120MM Liquid Cooling.
Fans: I have about 3-4 or so fans in my case as well. Maybe 5, I forgot.

I was thinking of getting at least 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans to put onto my radiator as well since my fans are practically chugging every day like a washing machine where my radiator is and I'm getting about 80C on my CPU during high intense Games. I don't know of any better fan that's both powerful and silent so if anyone knows, just tell me what they are or if I should just stick with the Noctuas.

One more question is if I should get these cans of compressed air to clean out the dust. I haven't cleaned my PC out once as I've been too lazy/busy to do so and was afraid I'd do something bad and mess something up. I have no hands on experience with cleaning PCs or installing hardware after all. I'm also planning on getting an anti static bracelet with all this stuff if I do decide to get it.

Thanks in advance to all who answer! :)

EDIT: I read a bit online and found that the Noctua NF-F12 was more superior than the NF-P12 in terms of using it for a radiator. Should I get two of these or one NF-P12 for the outside exhaust pushing out and a NF-F12 for the inside exhaust pushing in?
D2t5uLG.png

This is an image of what my current fan setup is (I think) or how I will get it to be when I upgrade. Is this alright or could it be better? I have another intake fan in front of the GPU as well. I was thinking of putting some kind of kneesock mesh or something in front of a few fans up front behind the case's wire mesh to help prevent dust build up but I don't know if that's worth it.

If anyone has any recommendations on good but cheap $15 or less 120mm + 140mm fans I'd appreciate it as well.

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

The board runs dual channel, so best performance is running 2 x 8gb or 4 x 8gb( In pairs of 2 for dual). Best with 4 matching ram cards

ip0wnn00bs

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
So 2x 8GB it is. 4 of them would feel overkill on my wallet and PC lol. I heard about 2666MHz memory and I'm wondering if I should get that instead. I'm not sure if my motherboard would support that, though.

I updated my post with some other questions about fans as well.