Random black screen freezing during bootup

megaxzeo

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello everyone.

I've been suffering from an annoying problem on my custom PC for a while now, and I haven't really been able to figure out the cause.

When I try to start the computer, almost guaranteed, the system will freeze before the POST screen and simply not start at all. My keyboard doesn't light up, my monitors don't wake up, and the hard drive indicator stays lit up, not blinking at all.

From here, I have to hold the power button to turn it off and try again. And again. and usually another time. Its kind of random, but eventually it works, and my computer seems just fine while operating.

Would any of you mind ladies or gentlemen be willing to help point me in the right direction to figure it out?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
does that motherboard have an led or anything on it that shows errors at start up? I think you need to unplug things to figure out why it won't post. It might be your ram, I don't know for sure.

I don't know hardware as well as others here, and the tags you put on the initial post might mean that experts might not see it.

megaxzeo

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Motherboard is an MAXIMUS VII FORMULA.

power source is a Corsair AX 860

Ram is corsair vengeance

GPU is XFX R9-290X

CPU is an i7-4790k

heatsink is a bit old and needs replacing... its a coolermaster v10

my boot disk is a corsair SSD. Also old. I have a replacement drive ready, but havent been able to do a proper back up and install it.

and for a sound card, im running a creative soundblaster X-FI Titanium.

All the links are either amazon or newegg. Hope this format helps and is acceptable.

Again, thank you for any help

Colif

Win 11 Master
does that motherboard have an led or anything on it that shows errors at start up? I think you need to unplug things to figure out why it won't post. It might be your ram, I don't know for sure.

I don't know hardware as well as others here, and the tags you put on the initial post might mean that experts might not see it.

Solution

megaxzeo

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Yes, the mother board does have a display that does that. I tried to get it to do the error, but my computer has been on for a bit and now it doesn't want to do it. I turned it off and I'll let it cool down a bit and see if u can post the error code in a bit. Thanks!