How do I load my Sony OEM bundled software on a clean install of Windows 10?

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
OK I upgraded to Windows 10. My Sony Viao was one before the model that has supported drivers. So I am unsupported.
The Sony site showed this Laptop passed all the tests, but Sony was not prepared to support Windows 10. Actually the upgrade went brilliantly and has no problems.
It also brought forward all my software. A very happy bunny :):)

Now I want to sell the Laptop, and will do a fresh install - I have a Windows 10, retail USB stick - bought for my new self built Workstation. So I assume I just load it from that and say I dont have a key and it will hopefully work out this is an official free upgrade?

Then I thought how do I get at the bundled software, like Sony Vaio Care ( a useful management and update and recovery utility) , and Sony Vaio Gate ( a fairly useful sort of Program toolbar) and Photoshop Elements and Office lite?

I have no product discs or Licence keys as these come on the Recovery DVD. Its a sort of load the OS and all the programs are loaded.
This looks difficult.

Is there a way to selectively look at a recovery disc or are they lost? I do have a spare copy of a later version of Photoshop with keys etc.

I would like to doma fresh install, for 2 reasons.
1. I want to put back the original Toshiba 500GB HHD and retrieve a brand new Samsung 500GB 850 EVO. As I dont think I will get a reasonable percentage of the money and that can go in my new Tower PC.
2. It would be nice to format the disc before selling on the Laptop, ref personal details etc.

Any ideas welcome.

Also can I just copy the Windows 10 OS from the Retail USB onto another USB stick. Or will that not make a bootable USB drive. My idea was to give this to the new owner without the license key as they effectively have that in the form of an authorised free upgrade to Windows 10 that I believe is locked to the mother board.

Solution

So say this:
"Has been tested with Windows 10, and it works perfectly. It is at Factory spec (Windows 7), so that you can decide whether to Upgrade or not. Free Upgrade to Win 10 until July 28 2016."

Not everyone likes Win 10, and it may turn some people off.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Thanks
I suspected that might be the answer Grrrr :(
Takes ages to load windows 7 with tons of updates.

I dont suppose there is a way to reset the pc and lose the data? I.e. Format the partitions holding the data?

USAFRet

Titan

If you go with the Factory OEM disks, that WILL wipe the entire drive, and return the system to as it came from the store.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Phoned Microsoft licensing, and they said I could load the Windows 10 using my retail USB copy and then use the Windows 7 product key on the base of the Laptop.
And I wouldnt be giving away my retail copy. As its a legitimate upgrade, they will have linked the old Windows 7 product key to my free Windows 10 upgrade.
But she confirmed if I used the retail product key then I would have given it away to the new owner of the laptop.

Thats the theory but she did say there have been a few issues , that can be resolved as its all legitimate.
But to avoid these issues, then load Windows 7 first and then download Windows 10 and upgrade it.

USAFRet

Titan

Correct. But unless the new owner specifically say they want Win 10 and for you to do it, I'd leave it as factory, and let them do it (or not) at their leisure.

Otherwise, you may run into issues with accounts, etc. I'd just do the whole factory reset, power off, and give it to them.
Let them be the first to power up and create accounts, etc.

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

USAFRet

Titan

So say this:
"Has been tested with Windows 10, and it works perfectly. It is at Factory spec (Windows 7), so that you can decide whether to Upgrade or not. Free Upgrade to Win 10 until July 28 2016."

Not everyone likes Win 10, and it may turn some people off.

Solution

PeterZ640

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Yeah that's a smart idea, covers best of both Worlds.
Got to say, Windows 10 seems excellent. A loads a lot quicker than Win 7 and a million updates.
Only thing I don't like is the alleged privacy intrusion - but hopefully most is now switched off.