making a new gaming system, opinions appreciated

pne1234

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
hi all, im looking to build a new desktop, my current one is a few years old and was a high end budget pc if that makes sense but would like to fully start again. the specs i was thinking of getting are listed below. if anyone has any opinions on the build or if they think there is improvements out there, i would appreciate it. i wouldnt like to say i have unlimited budget i just dont want to buy something for a lot more than what it should cost for minimal improvement. my aim is gaming but im not interested in overclocking

i5-6600 (not unlocked 'k' version)
Z170-A Pro M'Board
Corsair 16GB DDR4 2133
Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler
GTX 970
Corsair CX600M

i have been debating the r9 390 over the gtx for ages now. im gaming only at 1080p and with the lower power, lower temps and noise i decided with the 970. any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You don't need a Z170 board if you are getting a locked processor and only 2133mhz RAM. The main benefits of the Z170 is the ability to Overclock, and run RAM above 2133mhz. Find yourself an H170 board or less for cheaper. This would give you a lot of gamng features without what you dont need

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overview

The Corsair CX600 is a known problem PSU when running high powered GPU's. You should consider a different one. Corsair just came out with a CXM650, while it seems like its from the same line it is not, its a different manufacturer and MUCH higher quality. Others you may want to look for, the XFX TS 550, Seasonic Gseries 550, EVGA 550 G2 or 650 G2. 550 is enough for your build 650 is a good cushion.

pne1234

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

very interesting,i was unaware about the PSU problem, the money i save for changing chipset of motherboard I can get the better PSU. thank you very much