Virus / Malware - Need Help

AdamMiltron

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Hello,

Last night I noticed my CPU and Memory were idling high around 15%-20%. Then I could not open any applications. I was receiving an error
stating "The instruction at 0x0000000074C8EE63 referenced memory at 0x0000000074C23BA9. The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program"

I suspect this is malware/virus and I have not gone through the removal guides yet but anyone can tell what I am likely dealing with before I start those processes any help is appreciated.

Solution
Run MemTest as planned.

If no problems appear, just operate as normal.

Keep an eye on what is running and otherwise going on via Task Manager: Processes, Services, App History. Run in the background for awhile.

May spot something else that will help.

Ralston18

Titan
What applications, processes, services were using the CPU and memory?

Could be just a buggy application or some conflict between applications.

Computer's logs (via Event Viewer) may also provide more information.

Isolate your computer from the network.

Run your antivirus/malware software and let it do its job. Soon rather than later.

See what turns up. Post accordingly.

AdamMiltron

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

AdamMiltron

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

At the time I noticed the high CPU / Memory usage in my rainmeter I was done working on the computer and it was idling. I was finishing up my taxes before the usage spike. I will post the processes when I get to my computer in a few hours.

AdamMiltron

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

So I took all 3 of my hard drives out of my computer and booted them separately in a hard drive doc. I scanned each drive with Avast and Malbytes. No virus or malware were detected. Avast did have two warnings for files that were compression bombs. I am thinking of running MemTest on my computer now to see if I have a bad memory stick.

Any other suggestions are helpful.

Ralston18

Titan
Run MemTest as planned.

If no problems appear, just operate as normal.

Keep an eye on what is running and otherwise going on via Task Manager: Processes, Services, App History. Run in the background for awhile.

May spot something else that will help.

Solution

AdamMiltron

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

It appears a memory stick has not seated properly or needed to be adjusted. I am up and running again.

Thanks for the help and I will monitor things like you mentioned.