I'm getting an error message when booting from the OS disk. What?!

SovietRussia

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Specs

CPU: FX-8320 @4.5GHz

GPU: 2 R9 280x's in CF

Mobo: GA 990FXA UD3 R5

PSU: Corsair 750M

RAM: 8GB (I have 2 other 4GB modules, but one was faulty and was what I thought to be the original problem. After removing them, I started experiencing even more problems)

Monitor: Asus VS238H-P

The Issue

Okay, so on Sunday I went and bought a Win 10 Home 64-bit disk from Fry's because the clone I brought over from my laptop was absolutely broken, and I started my many attempts to install it. For the first few times, I booted up to a blank screen after the BIOS splash, then I started pressing F12 and booting from the disk drive. I got into the Win 10 installation, did a custom install on my SSD (formatted and deleted all previous partitions), and it started installing. Cool! My system restarts, and boots to... nothing. It's on, but it seems the backlight on my monitor is off, and that's really the main problem.

Or at least, I thought that was the problem. After removing those 2 faulty RAM modules, when I turned the system back on and booted from the install disk (I was going to try formatting my SSD and trying the install again), I got an error (Error code: 0xc0000225). From the disk. The Win 10 disk I bought two days ago for $100. At this point I went to bed because I was just... pissed. Has anyone else encountered these problems, or am I just an idiot?

Solution

SovietRussia

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

I'll try that when I get home, but one of the problems was when I tried to get into the installation screen to repair my computer, it would give me the 0xc0000225 error before even giving me the keyboard/language screen. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

1) remove one of the GPUs, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10 WITH A CROSSFIRE CONFIGURATION
2) remove all extra hard drives from your system, leave only your boot drive plugged in
3) clr_cmos
4) do not add back your overclocks after clr_cmos
5) jump into the bios and make sure your system is in UEFI boot mode AND the hard drive is in ACHI mode
6) perform a clean install of windows 10
7) only after the clean install has been performed and you can get to the desktop of your pc- then you may power down your system, fully, and power it back on again, make sure you're still able to boot into windows
-then you may power down and add back the extra hard drives (if any)
-make sure windows recognises them and assign them whatever drive letters you wish
8) assuming no issues in step 7, now you may power your system down, add the extra GPU back to your system and attempt to set back up your xfire setup

Solution

SovietRussia

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Alright, thank you! I'll definitely try this, mainly because it's a new solution I haven't seen/tried before.

SovietRussia

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Yeah, I ended up setting everything back to defaults and doing what ingtar33 said. I also tried the instructions in your link, and everything went well! I now have Windows 10 thanks to you two.