ATI / AMD current video card status:

nelsonwcf

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
Hi all,

Before anything, I don't want to start a flame war so I'm not asking which one is better, ATI or NVIDIA. The question here is more subtle: many years ago I acquired a ATI card and while it was ok, it used to show artifacts in the screen some times and since I lived outside US without any support I had to live with it for 2 years, which created some kind of prejudice against ATI. Having reading through many computer enthusiast forums, I've also noticed that are more threads regarding artifacts appearing in ATI/AMD cards than in Nvidia. So, can you guys who replace your hardware more times than me, could tell me if artifacts and unexpected behavior is still a problem with ATI cards? Since this will be my first Desktop computer in almost 7 years, I'd like to know if ATI cards still have more problems with artifacts than NVIDIA. I'm current considering 980 TI but juts because I'm afraid of ATI. However, I'm still looking for the best money/performance ratio here, as long as I don't face unexpected behavior in games.

Thank you,
Nelson

I believe most issues with artifacts and the sort of problems you describe come from problems with memory or soldering/pcb issues. Both nvidia and amd (ati) have had huge issues with defective GPUs in the past. Hopefully, they have both gotten better, but with technology this complex, there will still be errors.
On the other hand, both companies make great GPUs. There is always a chance that you could get a defective GPU, but if you buy from a place with a good return policy/warranty you should be ok.