How do I fix this blue screen error? "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

acecateer

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I rebuilt my system recently and put in a new motherboard, power supply to power my additional MSI R9 390 graphics card for sli config and a new case and fans. At first it was fine for about a week, but a few days ago my system randomly started having issues with a specific blue screen error. The error the blue screen displays is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and it has parenthesis that most frequently says Wdf01000.sys but it has said usb something earlier today as well. It's beginning to crash at least once day after day and it has crashed more than once today so I am very, very concerned about the well being of my computer and the problem is not going away. I have found NO answers online at all that work, I've made sure that ALL my drivers are 100% UP-TO-DATE. And I even tried reinstalling my AMD drivers thoroughly but none of it has fixed the issue. Please someone help, it really pains me to see a blue screen every day. I don't know how long it will be until I get another one. If you need anymore information please let me know and I will provide.

Solution
In very simple terms.

If you rebuilt your system and replaced the motherboard of it.
And it is not the same brand name or motherboard model that was originally in the system where the operating system was installed.

And you have not installed a fresh new installation of the working os with the new motherboard installed.
It is why you are having problems with windows either freezing, restarting or suffering from multiple errors.

When ever you install a new motherboard, you are required to install a fresh version of the working OS you have.

Because the OS has to configure it`s self to the new motherboard and hardware devices on it and install the correct drivers for that hardware.

There are no if`s or but`s rule to this.

New...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all the updates available.
- Next is to install the latest BIOS version update there is from the manufacturer site of the motherboard.
- If the same problem will persist proceed with doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the PC once the driver has been installed then observe it again and see if the same problem will persist.
- If all these will not work, you'll need to reinstall Windows 10.

In very simple terms.

If you rebuilt your system and replaced the motherboard of it.
And it is not the same brand name or motherboard model that was originally in the system where the operating system was installed.

And you have not installed a fresh new installation of the working os with the new motherboard installed.
It is why you are having problems with windows either freezing, restarting or suffering from multiple errors.

When ever you install a new motherboard, you are required to install a fresh version of the working OS you have.

Because the OS has to configure it`s self to the new motherboard and hardware devices on it and install the correct drivers for that hardware.

There are no if`s or but`s rule to this.

New motherboard.
Clean install and setup of the working OS Period.
No shortcuts trying to use the old OS installed for another motherboard.
Or you end up in the situation you are now facing if the case.
Or you will be there for days trying to sort out why the system is crashing all of the time.

Solution

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Shaun o is absolutely right; anytime you replace the MoBo you need to do a fresh install of Windows. It's always recommended that you backup any important files or data before you do so if you can. You might want to look into a backup solution as well. Anytime you're making changes to a PC you should be running a disk imager (i.e Acronis True Image) or a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback rx)