Deleted Old Boot Partition - Laptop Won't Pass BIOS

erahn1

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hello,

I think that I've severely messed up my laptop and need some help.

I have an ASUS ROG G751 that I had a local computer shop put a SSD into (it has two slots) and had them install windows on the SSD.

Until a moment ago, there were Windows OS's on both the original HDD and the SSD, and I could log into either, if I wanted to. While logged into the SSD operating system, I deleted the partitions on the HDD and wiped the disk. After running a restart, it is not getting past the Aptio BIOS screen for American Megatrends.

Originally, I saw no boot options. I turned 'Launch CSM' on, and now see a boot option, but I believe it is pointing to the now wiped HDD. I don't have much experience working with BIOS related issues and have no idea what to do.

Any help would be super appreciated.

Eric

Solution
okay, you need to download this and create a windows boot USB (I assume it doesnt have a optical drive): https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

change bios boot order so usb first, ssd second
boot from install disc and on screen after the language choice, select repair this pc, not install
on next screen, select troubleshhot
then advanced
then select start up repair

if that doesn't work, reload usb and follow same steps and go to command prompt instead at last step

type:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
and hit enter

restart pc and see if that helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, you need to download this and create a windows boot USB (I assume it doesnt have a optical drive): https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

change bios boot order so usb first, ssd second
boot from install disc and on screen after the language choice, select repair this pc, not install
on next screen, select troubleshhot
then advanced
then select start up repair

if that doesn't work, reload usb and follow same steps and go to command prompt instead at last step

type:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
and hit enter

restart pc and see if that helps.

Solution
It sounds to me like the computer shop had the HDD still attached when they installed Windows on the new SSD. Not a good thing. Well, that is water under the bridge. Do as Colif suggested regarding the repair option. If all else fails, you may have to do a clean install to the SSD, before connecting the HDD this time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, if I couldn't work it out I would be thinking about asking them to repair as they should have known better. They could say they just followed orders but they meant to be the professionals here and should have asked your intentions. They could have done all this for you.

erahn1

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I tried a few options, but the MBR wasn't able to be accessed at all. It was completely locking me out, no matter which repair options I tried. I attempted your Dos command and several others that I found; none were of use.

I eventually had to just nuke the SSD partitions via the Windows 10 thumb disc and do a fresh install. Thanks a ton for the link, Colif. You saved me a ton of time and several headaches.

Eric